Re: How to modify table borders?

__/ [Ellie C] on Sunday 08 January 2006 16:52 \__

> Hi,
>
> I would like to modify the look of a table border and I can't figure out
> how to do it. I wonder if anyone in this groupo can help. I saw the look
> I want on a website (http://www.annestahl.com). The table under her name
> has the look I want - making it loo like a raised area without the inner
> border that you get with the usual table boders. I looked at the source
> for this page and saw that this was done with CSS. I'm completely
> unschooled in CSS but I tried copying the stuff in the referenced file.
> But when I try adding this to my own page it dosen't work. Can anyone
> give me some ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ellie
>
> Here's the "code"
>
> body {
> background-color:#CCCC99;
> font-family: "Century Gothic", "Lucida Sans Unicode", "Trebuchet MS",
> Verdana;
> }
> a:hover { color:red }
> a:link {color:#444200}
> a:active {color:#ff0000}
> a:visited {color:#666666}
> table.menu {border
> border: #999900;
> border-top: 1px solid #FFFFFF;
> border-right: 1px solid #999999;
> border-bottom: 1px solid #999999;
> border-left: 1px solid #FFFFFF;
> }
> .table1 {
> border-top-width: 1px;
> border-right-width: 1px;
> border-bottom-width: 1px;
> border-left-width: 1px;
> border-top-style: solid;
> border-top-color: #999999;
> border-right-color: #999999;
> border-bottom-color: #999999;
> border-left-color: #999999;
> }
> h2 {
> font-size: 16px;
> }
> .smtext {
> font-size: 12px;
> }

You probably needn't bother with CSS for this. I saw the table in question.
Have you looked at the standard attribute for tables in HTML? Have you bound
your table to the class table1 or menu at all? There is nothing too
sophisticated in the styles. There is also excess in terms of the number of
repeated declarations and attributes. Put the style in your header or within
a peripheral CSS file (link to it). You only need to make use of the classes
then (class="foo").

Best wishes,

Roy

PS - Try to learn HTML and be inspired by sites of higher quality. You might
adopt some bad habits or reflect badly on your site if you borrow code and
examples from the wrong places.

  • Re: Any Idea for IE and Opera - Its working with Firefox ...
    ... top of you css for a moment: ... html ... especially the border on the body. ... nothing about the html element in the css ...
    (alt.html)
  • Re: Double underline words
    ... CSS wouldn't have ... | anything HTML didn't anyway. ... HTML tags have attributes. ... a pixel width for a solid border, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: vertical size calculation
    ... the collective wisdom of the universe using tables for layout, ... Suppose you set a height of 100px and there is a 5px border top and ... That's the CSS way and it works like that for everything except tables ... between HTML and CSS. ...
    (alt.html)
  • Re: January statistics available
    ... within each of those narrow <div> elements are stacked up ... Have I read that .CSS StyleSheet right? ... & the Border still has a width? ... Just the CSS (& possibly the Perl Program that Calculates the Sizes) ...
    (uk.people.silversurfers)
  • Re: a style?
    ... That should have no effect on HTML... except in the sense of making them affect rendering even if CSS... Why be so ungrateful for its presence considering there are other ... between list items and so on), a default border of 1px would be very ...
    (comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html)