Re: OT: What is happening in Sydney?
- From: dorayme <dorayme@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 11:51:03 +1100
> From: Toby Inkster <usenet200512@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Cronulla, where a lot of the trouble in Sydney has been going on, is a
> poor area, which is very ethnically mixed. Throw in a few trouble-makers
> and some intense heat (it's the height of summer) and tension is bound to
> be high.
> I *am* surprised that it trickled up to Maroubra though: it's a fairly
> affluent area.
It's more complicated than the affluence of the suburb, there is
quite a history to the gangs that have formed along the beach
suburbs, especially Maroubra (the Bra gang, local surfies and so
on) and gangs that come from all over Western Sydney to visit
the beaches. There are better roads and freeways now to bring
folk more easily to these beaches and these visitors have
behaved badly often enough to cause special resentment. Not
least resented, apparently, has been the unwillingness by the
state Govt to confront such behaviour because of "ethnic"
sensitivities. Anyway, it's a mess...
- Prev by Date: Re: Can you insert a graphic offsite?
- Next by Date: Re: OT: What is happening in Sydney?
- Previous by thread: Re: OT: What is happening in Sydney?
- Next by thread: Re: OT: What is happening in Sydney?