Re: css hack for IE: is using the * acceptable

Toby Inkster wrote:
> windandwaves wrote:
>
>> However, I noticed that the asterix works fine. Just try it. It is
>> invalid, but that is the exact reason you do it. So that firefox,
>> etc... do not go for the padding 12px, while IE ignores the * and
>> applies padding 12px.
>
> No -- it's invalid, which is why you *shouldn't* use it.
>
> Proper browsers (Opera, Firefox, etc) might ignore the second padding
> value today, but future versions might start to apply the second
> padding value. You've used an invalid contruct, so "proper" behaviour
> is undefined -- the browsers can do what they like.

You be pleased to know I have retrieved the items with * from my stylesheet,
placed them in ie.css and added the following code to my page:

function styler() {
$v = '';
$b = browser_detection('browser');
$file = 's/'.$b.'.css';
if(file_exists($file)) {
$v .= '<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="'.$file.'">';
}
return $v;
}

Thank you.

  • Re: css hack for IE: is using the * acceptable
    ... So that firefox, etc... ... Proper browsers might ignore the second padding ... You've used an invalid contruct, ...
    (alt.html)
  • Re: css hack for IE: is using the * acceptable
    ... >> Someone taught me that using the following is like an IE hack: ... browsers but IE ... invalid, but that is the exact reason you do it. ... not go for the padding 12px, while IE ignores the * and applies padding ...
    (alt.html)
  • Padding is invalid and cannot be removed
    ... Padding is invalid and cannot be removed. ... inputBuffer, Int32 inputOffset, Int32 inputCount, Byte& ... Boolean useValidationSymAlgo) at ...
  • Padding is invaild and cannot be removed
    ... Padding is invalid and cannot be removed. ... inputBuffer, Int32 inputOffset, Int32 inputCount, Byte& ... Boolean useValidationSymAlgo) at ...
  • Re: SSL Attack
    ... > that the padding is invalid because in this case the engine cannot ... > tell how much of the data should be considered padding (note that the ... plus that the variable holding the length of the padding is set to zero. ... The important thing here is to not just perform *any* HMAC operation, ...
    (sci.crypt)