Re: Unworn automatic watches

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 22:51:54 GMT, "Falky foo"
<falkyfoo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> In any case, whatever excess wear occurs from starting the watch "dry" is
>> probably more than counterbalanced by the fact that as long as the watch
>> sits in the drawer it is not experiencing any wear at all.

Yep, that was a very good point. :)

>I totally agree. To me their argument is like suggesting people keep their
>cars running all the time so that the oil stays warm and free-flowing.
>Outrageous. I would extend the analogy further. Just like if you rarely
>drive your car you're supposed to start it up and let it idle for 10 minutes
>or so every couple of weeks, I'd suggest if you don't wear your watches much
>you wind em up every month and let them run a day. But otherwise to keep
>them running just to run is a total waste IMHO.

With cars at least, there is a good argument for that. Look at taxis,
the reason those things keep going forever is because they are
generally ran three shifts and rarely ever cool down. Byweekly oil
change also helps.
However, it is an entirely different thing to lubricate a combustion
engine with it's high pressures and speed of parts and to lubricate a
watch which is lazy at best in comparison.

The idle speed of a 28,800 beat(480bpm) watch should be about 50 beats
per minute based on the 600RPM for the average six with it's 6000RPM
redline.

Hm, maybe we should design a watch that will idle when not in use ?
It would run for 10-12 days without a wind, but i guess the cannon
pinion and crown wear would be unacceptable.. ;-)

--

Regards, Frank

  • Re: Speaking of...heres a $38K shocking pink mens watch
    ... women are not a separate species. ... The man who wears this watch will ... and weddings, in Asia white is seen as ghostly and deathlike, so brides wear ... Pink is not an inherently "feminine" color unless our culture so declares. ...
    (alt.horology)
  • Re: Etymology of "Sinister
    ... work the stopwatch buttons if the watch is on the right wrist. ... but the watch I wear when scuba diving ... I don't think the swoop-around writing style of "most" lefties has ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Alpha watch arrived today, and...
    ... I'm wearing it as I type: It's a bit heavier than the Seiko SQ and quite ... I've got a NOS Clinton dress watch ... I'm fascinated by mechanical watches, ... But having a collection of them to wear is, ...
    (alt.horology)
  • Re: ETA Accuracy
    ... He doesn't need to know your wear pattern. ... lucky that the watch was regulated correctly without that info. ... temperatuere variation (e.g. leave the watch dial down in the fridge for 24 ...
    (alt.horology)
  • Re: Sen. Bernie Sanders - The State of the Union Bush Forgot to Talk About
    ... And I'm not saying that because I wear a $10 watch. ... I do no matter what I was worth. ... I wear jeans most of the time. ...
    (soc.retirement)