Re: Nicest watches I've ever seen...

And I like the look and feel of acrylic crystals. But I collect and wear vintage watches. AFIK the high domed and faceted crystals on the Art Deco styled watches in my collection just aren't available in anything but acrylic. Heck, they're not really available anymore. Best you can hope for is to find someone who can cut and polish one out of a block of acrylic.

My Art Deco watches made from the late 1920's and into the 1970's are some of the nicest watches I have ever seen. For the most part they are manual wind and neither water nor shock resistant. Consequently you must be very careful when, where and how you wear them. They are art, functional jewelery, precious items that must be cared for.

Richard "to each his own" F

Mij Adyaw wrote:

Acrylic scratches much easier than sapphire. I would not own a watch with an acrylic crystal.
-mij

"Moka Java" <rtwatches@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:3idki1FksqpvU1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The price of flat sapphire crystals has come way down in the past few years. The Speedmaster that went to the moon had a domed acrylic crystal. So, for an authentic "Moon Watch" look a domed crystal is important. A domed sapphire crystal is still quite expensive.

Acrylic scratches but is easily polished. Sapphire can be scratched too but polishing is not an option.

Richard "partial to domed acrylic" F

Mij Adyaw wrote:

Why not get the Omega with a sapphire crystal. I do not understand why Omega still offers the Speedmaster Moon Watch with a plastic crystal. It does not make any sense because the price is the same to get the watch with a sapphire crystal.

  • Re: how do the Chinese do it
    ... been around since the ark, don't know what happened to that, old watches ... It's really a question of originality. ... new crystals just fitted to the watch. ... crystal the supplier had that fitted and the very thin plexis were not ...
    (alt.horology)
  • Re: Inner vs outer
    ... I think the covers were for protection from damage as much as to hide the ... protection - in the days before sapphire crystals and even before plastic ... the Greatest Generation wore watches on Omaha Beach that today might be ... wear them - in our society it's more acceptable for a woman to be ...
    (alt.horology)
  • Re: Why does crystal oscillator run slow?
    ... order to build watches that run so well. ... because people wear watches. ... modern watch guys know probably is not all that relevant to AT-cut ... crystals. ...
    (sci.electronics.basics)
  • Re: Designer watches?
    ... company that specializes in watches? ... runs, well all watches are made that way, speaking to a Casio agent years ago, Casio would make a new model, they would plan to sell 100,000 pieces world wide of that one model, they would gear up to make 150,000 watches, 100,000 to sell 50,000 for the spare parts, when those spare parts are gone thats it. ... now things like the movement would be used in other versions of their watches, the crystal if round is generally no problem to replace, the shaped crystals a bit harder, if used on a another model, good, otherwise one would have to be cut, if the crystal is a painted back type then you have Buckleys of getting one the same years down the line. ... Seiko than a Kenneth Cole watch? ...
    (alt.horology)