OT - wheels straight for safety

Today (July 10, 2012) there were radio reports of a vehicle crash, near me.
I searched for it on the web, but did not find it. What I remember is:

Driver of vehicle killed. (insert name) was sitting at an intersection. He
was struck from behind, by another vehicle. This pushed him into the path of
an oncoming driver, who happened to be driving a semi trailer, with a heavy
tank full of product. The driver was killed instantly.

When I was in Driver Education, we were taught to wait with our steering
wheels straight. So, if we were hit from behind, we'd go through the
intersection, instead of pushed into oncoming traffic. I guess the deceased
either didn't take driver ed, or decided not to follow the instructions he
got. And, he's dead.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

  • Re: refectors
    ... The car driver will not see the bike rider because the side reflectors ... because it will illuminate the intersection as the bike approaches. ... who set the standards for automobile and bicycle lights. ...
    (rec.bicycles.tech)
  • Re: Sidewalks, bikes, & civil engineering
    ... intersection within a mile of my home. ... Two cars were a short distance ahead of me. ... Sometime yelling at the driver works. ...
    (rec.bicycles.tech)
  • Re: Report Proves RLCs Cause Rear-End Collisions
    ... RLC ticket or three at such an intersection, ... I don't run lights and I don't slam on my brakes and I ... don't follow so closely that another driver slamming on their brakes is ...
    (rec.autos.driving)
  • Re: Are Some Toads Simply Inappropriate?
    ... You will see if you are at a four way intersection making a left turn, in front of oncoming traffic, you have the right of way over another vehicle not yet entered in the intersection. ... * If drivers are approaching an intersection from opposite directions, the driver turning left must yield to approaching traffic going straight or turning right. ...
    (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)
  • Re: Inconveniencing Others Makes Me Feel Alive
    ... I had been noticing an SUV driver braking for its right-turn from the intersecting street, waiting until its green signal had expired and rolling slightly across the stop-line at the intersection. ... Another incident yesterday involved a slowpoking Sloth in the left lane of a city street. ...
    (rec.autos.driving)