Re: A/C drain line plugged, what to clear it with?

On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 10:47:52 -0400, "MLD" <MLD@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"Home Guy" <Home@xxxxxxx> wrote in message news:4FCE11C2.8F07C3BB@xxxxxxxxxx
MLD wrote:

How does it get to the place where the blockage is when there's
going to be water (or junk) already accumulated above the
blockage?

Maybe in a few weeks, months or years the bleach would diffuse
into the line to the extent necessary to perform this magical
unblocking...

You've got a problem---you need to find something that will
dissolve a mental blockage.

You (and others) have a basic problem of being able to visualize the
situation.

Have you ever heard of "Liquid Plumber or Draino"? You put it
in the sink and then it mixes with the water above the blockage
and somehow, magically via a chemical reaction, manages to
eliminate the blockage.

Oh, how dumb we really are.

For one thing, most people use liquid plumber or draino when there is at
least *some* draining or flow still happening.

Second, draino crystals are heavy and will sink to the bottom where
(presumably) they will directly contact the blocking material. This is
aided by the fact that the diameter of your sink drain is large and the
crystals can access or reach the blocking material, and the distance
involved is very short.

Now, contrast all that with the A/C condensation line. It's highly
likely that the average home owner will not be attending their furnace
to the extent that they would notice the condensation line in the
process of getting plugged (as they would with any sink drain in the
house). It's only when the condensation line is completely plugged (and
causing over-filling and leaking elsewhere) would the home owner detect
a problem.

So draino crystals sink to the blockage and do their magic but liquid
plumber is only effective if there is some flow--is that what you're trying
to convey. I think that the makers of Liquid Plumber would take issue with
you----apparently you've never seen the liquid plumber TV commercials--very
dramatic how it works so nicely. I had a completely blocked condensate
line--water in the pan almost to the top of it. Several hours after I put
in the bleach solution the pan was empty and the water that I put into it
ran freely to the outside drain. I guess you're one of the "My mind is made
up, don't confuse me with facts" types.

Seems Home Guy is not one of the "sane Canadians".

Check this out:

_Cleaning your A/C condensate drain line in 5 minutes _

I bet they can me made easily with from parts from the garage scraps.

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyvPR7yMqbk>
.