Re: shower head

<noemailaddr...@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Recently (maybe 6 months ago) I replaced my 14 year old moen
shower head with another moen shower head.   When I first
replaced it all worked fine but now I'm noticing some
streams of water thru the head go in another (slanted)
direction rather than straight.  I live in a hard water area
(Houston suburbs) so I expect this is the cause.

The problem is Energy Star madness. 14 years ago you could buy a showerhead that
was self cleaning by virtue of the fact that the holes were large enough that
the flow of water would clean the mineral deposits.

These days, Water Sense shower heads are limited to less than 2 gpm, even less
than the previous low flow 2.5 gpm heads. The only way you can get any kind of
performance with that low a flow is to make needle size holes that plug up in
the presence of any kind of mineral deposit.

So you get a crappy shower and get to constantly clean or replace the shower
head.

  • Re: Water-waster/time-waster shower head solutions.
    ... Is the shower head designed for low flow or is it a full flow shower ... the shower head spills water on your instead of sprays it on you. ... the water is still spilling out the tub spout. ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: Do reduced flow shower heads increase potential for leaks?
    ... In particular, a leak could be created at the gooseneck connection behind the wall, which would be undetectable until major damage has been done to the structure in the wall. ... Would removing the flow restrictor device or using a non flow restricted head help. ... If your plumbing is installed correctly the shower head pipes should hold back pressure as well as the pipes under your sink when the faucet is closed. ... I have a button on my water saver shower head that allows me to shut off the water while soaping up to save even more water. ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: The Showerheads at TakeAShower.com
    ... If you want more force but willing to live with less flow overall try ... My house has only average pressure, the shower fixture though has very ... poor water quality throughout the country, ... I've replaced the shower head with another el-cheapo and the hose too, ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: Bacteria sick shower head!
    ... it's bacteria contaminated shower heads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ... not being paranoid or anything I unscrewed our shower head a few ... Incidentally we are currently under a municipal 'Boil water' advisory ... I'm saying that any bacteria in the water is the same coming from the faucet or the shower head, and one drinking from the faucet is putting that bacteria in the body, which could be more dangerous than showering with the same water. ...