Re: computer Surge Suppressor-protector question

On Mar 12, 4:06 pm, "HeyBub" <hey...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
trad...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Mar 11, 4:59 pm, "HeyBub" <hey...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Bob Villa wrote:
On Mar 11, 11:48 am, marco polo <markph...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
hi all,

If I turn my computer off at night [hibernation]
should the Surge Protector remain on,
or can I turn it off also?
Can a surge/spike hurt anything with the computer off?

And, I have other devices [spreakers, cable modem, printer]
plugged into it also, so I thought I might as well turn them all
off. That way, at the end of the year,
I can afford a new set of tires [for my bicycle]

thanks
marc

Hibernation is not turning it off and you need power to the PC. It
is the lowest power setting though. If you want to turn off the
surge suppressor your will need to "shut-down".

Hibernation DOES turn off the computer. By turn off, I mean removes
power in
exactly the same way as "powering down" the computer. The power
consumption difference between hibernation and shut-down is zero;
they are identical in
this regard.

Now "powering down," whether by front-panel switch or by
Hibernation, does
not remove all power from the computer. The computer's power supply
does
maintain a trickle voltage to maintain the internal clock (in case
the
battery fails) or, in some cases, wake-on-lan.

You can completely "power-down" the computer by flipping the switch
on the
computer's power supply - if it has one - on the back of the case.-

My vote for the best answer.   Also, even if the power was completely
disconnected
via switch in the PC, a surge of sufficient voltage could still
arc across some wiring point in the PC.

Also, whether the surge protector is turned on or not has no effect on
it's surge
protection for surges originating on the AC lines.  As long as it's
connected
the MOVs are still there
between the line and PC whether the surge protector is on or not.  The
surge
protector uses neglible power, only enough to light the LED
indicators.

You bring up another point: MOVs. MOVs are like reverse fuses - they are
normally open until they see a surge, then they short the surge to ground..
Problem is, like fuses, they're only good once (or maybe a few times). Then
they no longer work and the strip passes the surge straight on through.

Surge protection strips that use sophisticated electronics continue to work,
no matter how many surges they encounter.

So how can you tell which you have? If the strip cost in the neighborhood of
five bucks, it's the (almost) worthless MOV kind. If it cost $50.00 or more,
it's probably the electronic kind.

An all-round better solution is a "Whole-House" surge protector. These cost
$50-75 and attach at the circuit breaker box (if your hand fits a
screwdriver, you can install one). Moreover, they have little light(s) to
tell you they are working.

"Whole-House" is definitely not the answer. A UPS with surge
suppression would be a better one.
Any high-current device switching on or off and going through a common
conduit or routed near to the supply circuit of a PC would induce a
surge into that circuit. Making "Whole-House" suppression pointless.

  • Re: Smart Media Player Network Access in Fedora 20
    ... plugged in to a powerboard will weaken the surge protector and destroy ... A surge protector does its work when the mains voltage goes above ... protected power boards don't kick in until *above* that point, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: computer Surge Suppressor-protector question
    ... should the Surge Protector remain on, ... is the lowest power setting though. ... surge suppressor your will need to "shut-down". ... The power company here offers a unit that plugs into the meter ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: computer Surge Suppressor-protector question
    ... should the Surge Protector remain on, ... is the lowest power setting though. ... surge suppressor your will need to "shut-down". ... The power company here offers a unit that plugs into the meter ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: computer Surge Suppressor-protector question
    ... should the Surge Protector remain on, ... is the lowest power setting though. ... surge suppressor your will need to "shut-down". ... The power company here offers a unit that plugs into the meter ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: Modify Marantz 1050 amp to suppress mains noise
    ... There are other ways for noise to get into your system, besides the power ... power supply and didn't see fit to filter for anything ... The reason I will try a surge protector first is because consumer surge ...
    (rec.audio.tech)