Re: Best cable splitting strategy.

JIMMIE wrote:
On Jul 12, 4:11 pm, George <geo...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:
On Jul 12, 1:31 pm, "Joe J." <joe...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"Aaron Fude" <aaronf...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:c80b7a64-324b-47b7-a222-1fd73cb4e27b@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,
I know that the cable modem must have a pretty strong signal so it can
be downstream from a few splitters.
But I need to put in at least one or two. Where the cable comes in (A)
I have a single TV. The modem is in the next room (B) where there is
another TV. I'm choosing between two options:
1. 2-way splitter at location A and a 2-way splitter at location B.
2. 3-way splitter at location A
Way 1 is neater, but perhaps the modem gets only 1/4 of the signal.
Way 2 is more cumbersome, but perhaps the modem gets 1/3 the signal.
So which way is better?
Many thanks in advance,
Aaron
You might consider an active splitter such as:http://www.anadigics.com/products/cable_broadcast/active_splitters/ap...
but it requires AC power so needs to be located near an outlet.
Joe J- Hide quoted text -
You cant use a cable modem after an amplifier. Amplifiers are one way
devices cable boxes are two way devices.
Some have a passive return path and are intended for that use.- Hide quoted text -

Really, where can you get a bidirectional amp like this. I was told by
my cable company I could not use my amplified distribution system with
my cable modem or cable box because of this and there was no amp
available that would fit my needs.

Jimmie

Commonly available. The reason the cable companies discourage using them is because people buy them because they have a bunch of incorrectly configured cheap splitters or have poor wiring. The amplifier just masks the problem. When they remotely manage the equipment the levels will not correctly reflect system levels.

Cable companies are typically pretty good about making sure there is sufficient signal. Around here if you have signal issues they will adjust them as required. Anytime I have seen an installation that seems to need an amplifier it can be fixed by clipping off all of the twist on coax connectors, terminating the cables properly and using quality splitters that are arranged properly.

  • Re: cable signal
    ... then split signals after the amp only. ... Also ensure that your splitter is a 1GHZ bi-directional splitter. ... From there, one signal goes to the cable modem, and 3 go to ... >>I had previous problems getting any cable modem signal when the cables ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: What do these numbers on a cable splitter really mean?
    ... I have been having problems with my cable modem. ... There is a three way splitter on the line coming in from you pole. ... All you have to do is unscrew the cables, ... I would have to put in one signal amplifier (or ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: Coax cable carries electrical current? What is wrong?
    ... the splitter to the source of ground and you're done. ... > and three OUT cables connected, and nothing, it's OK. ... > splitter and touch the last coax cable connector - nothing...so I touched ... > Then I came back down and put the cable connector back to the VCR. ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: Splitting the signal
    ... That one is a three-way splitter. ... So the three cables there go to three different rooms. ... one for the TV Tuner and one for the internet. ... propagates signals in both directions. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Cable Modem and TV wiring
    ... cable modem) from that splitter. ... at entrance with one OUT for cable modem and another OUT for another ... 1:8 splitter and then run cables to each individual room. ...
    (alt.home.repair)