Gas Line Depth

Hi!

I'm going to be digging out a bush that runs right underneath the gas
line. According to JULIE, they don't say how deep the line is...just
that it's there. On my sidewalk right next to the outside turn-off
valve, it has ' 6" gas twp<?>" spray-painted on it. Before I start to
carefully dig, does this mean that the gas line is only 6" below the
surface? From what I recall, the line should run a foot or two
underneath the surface, which is deeper than I will dig. Also, for
what it's worth, I live in Chicago.

Just looking for some answers before I start my adventure...

Thanks!

  • Re: Gas Line Depth
    ... I'm going to be digging out a bush that runs right underneath the gas ... carefully dig, does this mean that the gas line is only 6" below the ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: Gas Line Depth
    ... I'm going to be digging out a bush that runs right underneath the gas ... carefully dig, does this mean that the gas line is only 6" below the ... Because of changes to dirt cover that may have occurred since the pipe was installed they generally will not provide information on depth, it is up to the "digger" to carefully hand uncover the pipe. ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: Gas Line Depth
    ... I'm going to be digging out a bush that runs right underneath the gas ... I've seen lines as deep as 60". ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: Gas Line Depth
    ... I'm going to be digging out a bush that runs right underneath the gas ... they don't say how deep the line is...just ... which is deeper than I will dig. ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: Gas Line Depth
    ... if the bush is UNDER the gas line, they you should have clear vision of it. ... The gas line would be above ground. ... I'm going to be digging out a bush that runs right underneath the gas ... carefully dig, does this mean that the gas line is only 6" below the ...
    (alt.home.repair)