Re: Incandescent Bulb Ban -- Motion Detector Fixtures, Poto cell fixtures and other exotic applications

On Jan 19, 12:24 am, t...@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
1. Outdoor Motion Detector Fixtures.

   A. I have six (6) of these in various locations around my house.  Five
are for
 pairs of the standard "flood light" type incandescent bulbs.  They all
work fine with incandescent
 bulbs.  Not a single one will work at all when I replace the
incandescent bulbs with
 outdoor fluorescent bulbs.

I don't understand why they wouldn't work unless it's just too cold for
the fluorescents to start up.

Question: Is it because the sensor that detects, motion and/or whether
it is daytime or night requires a certain (although small) amount of
current flow through the lamps to operate correctly while waiting to
turn on the lamps?
Not seeing the resistance of the bulb which when the regular
incandescents are cold and not lit, is probably less than 100 ohms
each (two 100 watt bulbs in paralell = 50 ohms!) maybe the unit will
not work correctly.

In other words CFLs may be different and are incomptible?

I have to agree with the OP, regulations should not be made that will
cause problesm with existing hardware.

Personally we find that in our cool climate, where every month of the
year requires some home heating (ours is electric) especially in the
evenings when the lights are most likely to be on, that regualr
incandescents provide a small portion of the home heat required!

For example; much of the year our bathroom is heated mainly by the six
40 watt bulbs above the vanity mirror; each bulb costing about 25
cents. So that the 500 watt electric heater in that room rarely comes
on! Another advantage is that the lights tend to be turned off when
bathroom unoccupied, automatically saving electricity.

Since incandescents are so cheap it looks like we will lay in a stock
of a couple of hundred 40s, 60s and 100s, for a cost of about $50,
when the time comes. That should last about twenty years! And any
extra electricity used will be offset by using less (electricity) for
heating.

Using CFLs outside does make sense; any 'wasted' heat out there merely
heats the night air! But so far our experience with fairly cheap CFLs
in temperatures down to about minus 10 C has not been too good. My
neighbour has used them but I notice he retains one or two
incandescents near his front door; maybe doesn't want to get sued if
someone stumbles?

This CFL business is a good ide perhaps for an instance saving/
reduction in electcity consumption in some cases but not everyone
should be jumping on the bandwagon without understanding the number.

BTW just drove into this small Arabian Gulf capital city at night,
over 50 miles of highway, light traffic, brightly lit with double lamp
standard every couple of hundred feet. All electricity here generated
by burning fossil fuel; hell they pump it and refine it! Gasoline at
the pumps here is 23 cents per litre, about one dollar per US gallon.
Hundreds of miles of highways and roads with street lamps burning all
night, around the world; much of the electrcity generated by oil,
coal, etc. Why?????

Take a look at that 'The world at night' satellite picture to see how
much light-pollution we humans are wasting. |
.