Re: Window that you can see out but not see in

MiamiCuse wrote:

I have a unique situation.

It is a bathroom window. I would like to be able to open that window from time to time for ventilation or view purposes.

I personally do not like glass blocks.

Even though it is an exterior window on a concrete block wall, it is exterior to the inside, meaning it is a house with an interior courtyard with the house on all four sides, so that window does not look into the yard or street, it looks into a planter area with hanging orchids, and other plants, so it's pretty obscured. It also makes it a very nice view.

For that reason I would like to be able to see out even while taking a shower, if possible.

Glass block or obscured glass do not serve that purpose.

Also, normal obscured glasses in a window for some reason do not appeal to me, frosted glass look cleaner and better. So I was just looking for something specific and I think the one way glass would do what I want, if it's affordable. I saw it in a hotel and my friend told me even with the room light turned on, you cannot see from outside in and I tried it and he is right. However, it does seem to not let too much light in, so I think another poster's opinion about it being a mirror film embedded in between panes of glasses is correct.

I will make a few calls to see what I find.

Thanks!

MC

We used Gila window film for years and it's "one-way" except at night when the inside lights are on. Our film is reflective and has a dark maroon color. There is a wide variety of color tints, reflectivity and transmissivity available. It's easy to cut and adhere to glass. Most home centers sell cuts from rolls, it would be easy to buy a piece and try it.

It has cut our A/C bills and protects everything from UV fading. Some tips, scrape the glass clean with razor blades and wash well. You want no dirt and dust when applying the film, it will wick under the film. They tell you to start at an edge then cut later. But using good measurements, sharp blades, and straight edge, cutting to 1/32" smaller that viewable opening is much easier and faster. Especially with 3x2 over 3x2 windows. Use plenty of slightly soapy water on glass, then lightly glide film onto glass and center the film. Lightly squeegee from center until all the water is removed, dry the edges well. If you have dirt or dust, flood it off the film and glass. Ours has worked well since 1980. Only bad side, it will loose about 1/2 its tint in 10 years. (The reflectivity & UV block remains though) It also shatter proofs the glass. You can find the film in auto stores in smaller sizes and higher cost (it meets a fed std). After doing the house, we did all the vehicles, absolutely sold on the film.

btw, you're spending too much time the bathroom, move the orchids ;-)

-larry / dallas

  • >>>> PRIVACY FILMS <<<<
    ... 36 round privacy window film covering, see though privacy window film, ... for windows, glass window etched film privacy, privacy cling window ...
    (sci.engr.semiconductors)
  • Re: Window that you can see out but not see in
    ... If you're just looking for privacy, you can also get decorative window ... and decorative stained glass looking ones. ... I personally do not like glass blocks. ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: Window that you can see out but not see in
    ... If you're just looking for privacy, you can also get decorative window ... and decorative stained glass looking ones. ... I personally do not like glass blocks. ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: painting a window?
    ... If you're worried about it breaking the glass, apply it to a piece of Lexan ... and put it in the window. ... I wouldn't use opaque plastic or film. ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: Self Adhering Window Film?
    ... foggy. ... film, similar to what they use for after market car window tinting. ... I've asked around, checked the big box stores, even a glass company, but all ...
    (alt.home.repair)