Re: HD Cable Converter Box & Frozen Video

On 20 Aug, 13:12, "EXT" <noem...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I mostly notice the delay effect when our family room TV, fed by a HD box,
is playing the same channel as my computer in the next room, which does not
have an HD box. It is like an echo, the delay is a fraction of a second.

Also be aware that Scientific Atlanta cable boxes are some of the cheapest
boxes available. This is what our cable company supplies, they are full of
bugs and certain models have even more problems and frequently fail.

"Uncle Monster" <unclemonhates...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

DerbyDad03 wrote:
Background: In an attempt to solve a problem I've been having with my
standard cable TV converter, TWC sent me an HD converter - Scientific
Atlanta Explorer 4250 HDC. They think my problems stemmed from a
memory problem in their standard converter. There's 8Mb in a standard
box, 16Mb in an HD box. I do not have HD service or an HDTV.

Curent Issue: The first thing I noticed is that when I tune to any
station, the video is frozen for a split second and then movement
begins. It lasts just long enough to be noticable. This did not occur
with my standard box. Due to my ongoing problems, I've been given a
telephone number that takes me directly into Level 3 support. I called
the rep/tech and asked if this was normal for an HD converter. He said
it was, as long as it was for a split second and did not increase.

Can anyone verify that this is normal for an HD converter?

Thanks!

It's probably just a processing delay in the digital to
analog conversion. Many types of equipment that process
D/A or A/D signals can have a noticeable delay in output.
A potable "no skip" CD player is a good example. It will
buffer the data from the laser disk reader into memory
so it can reread the disk and correct for errors before
it can output a smooth analog signal. If you have ever
noticed digital artifacts on your TV screen, the odd stops
and strange rectangles breaking up the picture, you're
seeing what the processor is trying to prevent. You also
have to consider delay caused by decoding scrambled signals.

Another thing to consider is the quality of your incoming
signal. A low signal, bad or noisy cable connection can
also cause problems. Has a cable company tech ever come to
your home and checked the signal level and quality?

[8~{} Uncle Monster- Hide quoted text -

- It is like an echo, the delay is a fraction of a second.

That is not the "delay" I am asking about. The one you are speaking of
is the normal delay between sets attached directly to the cable
vs.those going through a settop box.

I am talking about an actual freezeing of the video as soon as a
channel appears on the TV. Essentially a still picture is displayed
first and then very quickly becomes active.

  • Re: HD Cable Converter Box & Frozen Video
    ... the delay is a fraction of a second. ... standard cable TV converter, TWC sent me an HD converter - Scientific ... D/A or A/D signals can have a noticeable delay in output. ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: Invariant Recognition, Grandmother Cell, and Memory Hierarchy
    ... > emerge you would need feedback. ... > strictly limited to training signals adjusting the thresholds of the ... The purpose of this first adjustment is to assign as much "meaning" to the ... adding external feedback with delay like this. ...
    (comp.ai.philosophy)
  • Re: The Metheny Tone
    ... Speaker/power-amp #2 has the signal pass through a digital delay that has an lfo that modulates the delay time. ... In the old days I had a Korg DDL that had a modulation feature. ... Look for a chorus effect that has true stereo, not just phase reversal of the L/R signals. ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz)
  • Re: Discussing audio amplifier design -- BJT, discrete
    ... If I may inject a comment here: I strongly support the idea of avoiding an output coupling capacitor. ... When I first tested the system, one output transistor each in two of the amplifiers warmed up quickly even without any output - not actually hot, but warmer than they should be. ... It would probably be workable for a high-power signal generator where some clipping can be tolerated as the output is increased, but for music or other complex signals that vary unpredictably in amplitude, there would need to be a delay in the signal long enough to allow the power supply to adjust to what will be needed. ...
    (sci.electronics.basics)