On Aug 2, 9:40 am, "EXT" <noem...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"Smitty Two" <prestwh...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

news:prestwhich-B1DDEF.07085102082007@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In article <1186063143.004874.25...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Brent Bolin <brent.bo...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Aug 2, 8:39 am, "Joseph Meehan" <sligoNoSPAM...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Brent Bolin wrote:

Hi All,

Currently have 3 TV's and Comcast cable modem. The splitter in the
cross space has a total of 5 ports.

1. Comcast in
2. Cable modem
3. TV
4. TV
5. TV/DVR

I would like to add an additional TV.

Can I just purchase a 6 port cable splitter ?

Will it reduce the quality of the signal ?

Any input would be appreciated.

Chances are that you could just add another (make that a high
quality)
splitter to address your issue. In some cases you ma need an amplified
splitter if the signal is weak.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

This is the direction I was thinking. I suppose it's all relative to
the signal strength that I currently have. Have not had any problems
to date.

There has been some discussion in this thread about amplifiers. Do
amplifiers need an external power source ?

They do. Keep in mind that an amplifier is going to amplify the noise as
well as the signal. So if you use one, put it as close to the service
entrance as possible. Every time you split a signal, you're going to
lose strength and introduce noise. If you're happy with the picture you
have now, I doubt that one more split will degrade it noticeably. Use a
terminator on any unused outputs from splitters.

Your local cable company has the ability to adjust the signal strength that
they feed to you.- Hide quoted text -

I'd first try splitting one of the tv signals again. If the picture
is OK, you're good to go. And if you do add an amplifier, make sure
it's bi-directional and compatilbe with a modem.

Hi,
In y experience I never had trouble with weakened signal by spliting.
Rather cable co. seems to feed too strong signal to begin with all the time.

  • Re: I still can not get the tv set up for my computer Please help
    ... If the feed is only split for two or three runs, a splitter down ... You have more fudge room dealing with analog signals then you ... You can not hook up a powered splitter to a cable modem unless it is ... problems with the signal to anything, tv, cable modem, pc tuner. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Cable Broadband Internet Signal loss from serial RG59 cabling - RF amp recommendations?
    ... RF 10db Amplifier - while the cable channel signals were still ... usable/powerful -- the cable modem was still unable to ... add in the 3 way splitter without moving the cable modem from ...
    (comp.dcom.modems.cable)
  • Re: Cable TV and coax splitters
    ... Cable modem ... splitter to address your issue. ... the signal strength that I currently have. ... I'd first try splitting one of the tv signals again. ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: cable signal
    ... then split signals after the amp only. ... Also ensure that your splitter is a 1GHZ bi-directional splitter. ... From there, one signal goes to the cable modem, and 3 go to ... >>I had previous problems getting any cable modem signal when the cables ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Marginal signal - amplifier needed?
    ... and installed a splitter myself to distribute the cable signal - before we had only one cable outlet in the upper part of the house. ... The 2-way splitter that I have has -3.5dB attenuation on one port and -7dB on the other. ... Before installing the splitter all HDTV channels were coming over the cable just fine - although some of them did experience pixelation and dropouts from time to time, ... If the analog signals remain fine, then my guess is the cable box has a problem or the signals on the HDTV digitals channels are low. ...
    (alt.tv.tech.hdtv)