Nail placement in 3 tab seal tab shingles?

Ok I have read the directions on my Owens-Corning shingles. However
when I started to remove the existing old shingles I see they were
nailed in the tar seal strip. Now I am not sure if back 27 years ago
the installer had used nail guns. But the shingles are dried and very
bad but still I have no leaks.
Aside from the warranty being voided isn't this a good place to put
the nail for the following reasons?
1. The tar will seal around the nail shaft and the head after the sun
has done it's thing.
2. The sealing might stop the nail from popping up in the future.
3. The nail is a bit farther up from the above courses tab's lower
edge.
I am amazed that the nail is so close to the edge of the overlap
anyway when installed via the directions. I would think if anything
that the nail should go above the tar seal strip. That way any water
that might be pulled up under the shingle by capillary action would be
stopped by the seal of the two shingles before reaching the nail.
What do you think?

  • Re: Nail placement in 3 tab seal tab shingles?
    ... the installer had used nail guns. ... But the shingles are dried and very ... that the nail should go above the tar seal strip. ... different directions based on product. ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: Nail placement in 3 tab seal tab shingles?
    ... the installer had used nail guns. ... But the shingles are dried and very ... that the nail should go above the tar seal strip. ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: Asphalt shingle roofing question: How exposed is an "exposed nail?"
    ... I read your post that mentioned the cap a day or two later and it ... Not all the shingles look the ... :> midway point in the overlap, and I assume that's the nail line and I ... for the underlayment any different than the rest of the roof - 30 lb. ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: hand-nailing roof?
    ... There is no difference in hand nailing or using the gun. ... For the type of shingles I would go with the highest quality you can afford. ... I would highly recommend resheating the roof, but make sure they nail ... Roofer A says that nowadays, in our mountain region, very wet, fairly ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: Nail placement in 3 tab seal tab shingles?
    ... | Ok I have read the directions on my Owens-Corning shingles. ... | the installer had used nail guns. ... | that the nail should go above the tar seal strip. ...
    (alt.home.repair)