Re: How much dirt in a wheelbarrow

On Mar 17, 11:35 pm, business...@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On 17 Mar 2007 22:50:30 -0700, "BobK207" <rkaza...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mar 17, 8:50 pm, business...@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 22:05:18 GMT, salad <o...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I know that wheelbarrows come in all sorts of sizes...but I was
wondering, for the standard size wheelbarrow one might get at Ace
Hardware or Home Depot, how much dirt one can carry...not so much that
it spills as its carried. I'm basically looking at a ball part figure.

I need to get 8-10 cubic yards of soil and was wondering how many trips
(approximate) I'll need to make to get it from the front yard to the
back yard.

There is no such thing as "Standard Size". I own several wheelbarrows
and each holds a different amount. Why not measure the amount by
building a one foot square box and filling it. Then see how many fill
the whellbarrow.

Good idea to do the volume experiemnet
but use a 5 gallon bucket

1 cu ft = 7.5 gallons

5 gallon bucket = 5/7.5 cu ft

I think figuring 3 to 4 cu ft per load would be about right

I estimate about 8 or 9 loads per cu yd.

cheers
Bob

That makes sense and saves building a box.
I think you are about right on those amounts. If I recall correctly,
I purchased an extra large wheelbarrow last year and I think it said
5.5 Cu Ft. Most new ones are labelled, but the labels are paper and
fall off.- Hide quoted text -

How much it will hold is moot in any case. He isn't going to be able
to wheel it if he fills it full.

Harry K

  • Re: How much dirt in a wheelbarrow
    ... for the standard size wheelbarrow one might get at Ace ... I'll need to make to get it from the front yard to the ... There is no such thing as "Standard Size". ... and each holds a different amount. ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: How much dirt in a wheelbarrow
    ... A commercial sized wheelbarrow is 6 CF. ... You will probably not be able to handle a full wheelbarrow. ... how much dirt one can carry...not so much ... front yard to the back yard. ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: How many wheelbarrows for a yard of concrete?
    ... The other yard will go into a nearby ... wheelbarrow trips will have to be made to carry that ... so I need to be ready to get the cement moved fast. ... cubic feet,, and a full yard ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: How many wheelbarrows for a yard of concrete?
    ... The other yard will go into a nearby ... shed is not accessible by truck. ... wheelbarrow trips will have to be made to carry that ... cubic feet,, and a full yard ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: How many wheelbarrows for a yard of concrete?
    ... The other yard will go into a nearby ... For the driveway extension the truck can drive right to it. ... wheelbarrow trips will have to be made to carry that ... so I need to be ready to get the cement moved fast. ...
    (alt.home.repair)