Re: Repairing a rusted swamp cooler

These have been some great suggestions. Here's mine:

In some cases you can actually replace the bottom pan. To replace the pan
(bottom), it has to be a replacable pan. To determine if it is, see if it
is bolted to the upright supports. If there are no screws or bolts it is
not replaceable. If there are, then try to find out who the manufacturer
isand contact them for the replacement pan.

If you can't replace the pan you might be able to use a "drop-in" pan
liner. If you can't find a drop-in pan liner from a local store (they are
getting harder to find), try a piece of sheetmetal or rigid fiberglass.
Seal around the edges with a "plumbers epoxy" putty (dries in about 15
minutes). If you put the patch on the inside you will have to clean the
pan where patch edges will be so the epoxy will stick. To cut a hole for
the overflow tube, use a hammer and chisel or screwdriver and punch around
the area where the hole needs to be. Seal this hole with epoxy putty.

You can use the putty for holes in other areas as well. Always clean as
much of the rust away as possable.

Anytime you have rust present, USE AN ANODE!!!! Anodes stop or aleast
slows rust.

To learn more service and repair information on evaporative coolers, visit:

Larry Galpin
The Cooler Doctor

Service, Repair & Enhance the Performance of Your Cooler Yourself and Save
$100s Every Year!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: 99 Intrepid - Dealer Stripped Oil Pan Drain threads?
    ... Matt Whiting wrote: ... someone was always quick to point out that the shavings would always stay in the bottom of the pan and not be sucked up by the pickup tube. ... without washer, I removed it, inserted the straw of a full can of brake parts cleaner all the way into the hole, and flooded the bottom of the pan for several seconds with a cup or two of cleaner, and let it run out rapidly. ... having been weakened (on the verge of stripping), but the idea of helicoiling one from a salvage yard is a good idea - which is what I tried, but the helicoil was put in crooked so that the gasket would not fit flush to the land area and so would not seal - fortunately I realized that before going to the trouble of swapping the pans. ...
  • Re: Recommend Repair Please?
    ... like plumbing, most evidently allowed a pan to knock a crescent ... shaped hole about 1/6 as large as a dime in a dark side of our ... Now, of course, water ... if hitting the side with a pan (and what was a pan doing ...
  • Re: Upright Smokers???
    ... came with a simple pan that had a hole on the middle. ... It works fine, the ECB ... base and the fire pan rust out. ...
  • Re: 94 explorer transmission modulator question
    ... explorer after replacing the modulator valve on the transmission. ... Well today I decided to replace the transmission fluid and filter ... Well what a bitch to get the pan to drop off the tranny. ... the pickup acting like an extension of the pickup hole on filter. ...
  • Re: Upright Smoker - Part 2
    ... Is the bottom pan where I'm supposed to drill more holes? ... It worked OK with just the one hole. ... Careful...that water pan is full of nearly-boiling water. ...