Re: Old wood floor; small spaces between planks

The individual boards vary from 3-1/4 to 3-1/2 inches, with a few
narrower ones where they fit up against the doorways. I don't see how
the gaps will close, because where there is filler, it runs the length
of the plank, with the filler popping out in bits and pieces only here
and there (in other words, I think the remaining filler would prevent
the gap closing with humidity). Also, where the filler is chipping
out, the missing bits don't extend the entire depth of the plank; it's
just creating little crevices in the thin line of filler.

Not all of the boards have this; some of them fit together tightly. I
suspect that when "whoever" decided to finish the wood in order to use
the subfloor as an exposed wood floor, the planks had shrunk here and
there since the original construction, and they filled in the gaps
where that had happened before finishing the floor.

It really is not very noticeable, so is not particularly unattractive.
I am a little concerned that the filler below where it is chipped does
not have the surface finish, so might take on water when I wash the
floors (although I do this with a nearly dry mop). My bigger concern
is simply that I'm a new homeowner and I want to take care of my house
properly. It's stood here for more than 100 years -- I don't want it
to crumble down on my watch <g>!

Jo Ann

  • Filling a Hardwood Floor
    ... I am going to be refinishing a red oak strip floor that has some ... gaps between the boards. ... The floor is not going to be stained. ... you can see remnants of filler in the gaps giving them a ragged look. ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: Red Oak T&G Flooring Repair Question.
    ... I would cut red oak to insert into those gaps. ... strips to allow for the seasonal movement of the wood. ... will still expand and the filler will crumble and/or the wood will ...
    (rec.woodworking)
  • Re: Red Oak T&G Flooring Repair Question.
    ... gaps appear. ... strips to allow for the seasonal movement of the wood. ... will still expand and the filler will crumble and/or the wood will ... Rico is right, and, if you fill all those gaps and the floorboards do expand, they can buckle and lift. ...
    (rec.woodworking)
  • Re: Red Oak T&G Flooring Repair Question.
    ... I would cut red oak to insert into those gaps. ... strips to allow for the seasonal movement of the wood. ... will still expand and the filler will crumble and/or the wood will ...
    (rec.woodworking)
  • Re: Leveling Main Level
    ... > I am about to begin reflooring the main level in the house. ... > I know I'll have issues with is the fact that the floor is not level. ... > the maximum thickness of leveling compound you should use? ... plywood filler pieces to reduce the amount of filler needed and to add to ...
    (alt.home.repair)