Re: Thinset instead of Grout?

Both are portland cement plus sand. Thinset is hidden and so it
usually is composed of the cheapest grey portland cement. White or
colored grout uses white portland cement which is more expensive than
grey, it can be left white or tinted to any grout color. Since grout is
non-structural just about any cementitious base would suffice, unless
you are looking for decreased water permeability. So if it is the same
color, go ahead and use it but you MUST seal it.

Kyle Boatright wrote:
On very narrow joints, is there any reason I can't use thinset instead of
grout?

Since there is 10 lbs of thinset left in the bag, and it is the same color
as the grout I chose, I'm tempted.

Somebody stop me if this is a mistake...

Thanks in advance.

KB

  • Re: Thinset and grout - difference?
    ... > with real grout or is it "OK" what I did? ... Both are essentially portland cement plus sand. ... can employ the cheapest grey portland cement. ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: Thinset and grout - difference?
    ... > Both are essentially portland cement plus sand. ... The thinset I used recently is white portland. ... Since grout is non-structural just about any ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: Concrete pad to match existing driveway
    ... lay new slab if thats what your asking, cutting in grout lines, once ... the slab hardens mix portland cement with concrete dye and use as ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: Thinset and grout - difference?
    ... > A while ago I had some left over white thinset in it's original 20# bag, ... > poured them into an empty plastic bucket (labeled for grout). ... It shrinks and will crack if applied to thick. ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: Why so difficult to open these buckets?
    ... > The plastic buckets that concrete mix, grout, thinset etc... ... It has a hook that grabs the lip and pivots ...
    (alt.home.repair)