Re: electrode adjustment on oil burner

Not sure of the nozzle assembly front/back adjustment, but a lot of those
old burners were 5/8" from the surface of the end cone, to the tip of the
nozzle.
It's possible to set the electrodes by eye, but it's better to use a gauge.
If the guy set them by eye and it fired up for a year without a problem,
then my guess is that he knew what he was doing.
I don't think Delco burners have been made for a long time. Did they ever
tell you that you needed a new heater, and that a new one would pay for
itself in 2 to 3 years? At the current price of oil, you could put a new
heater on your credit card and still save a lot of money.
If it's a hot water boiler, and you can't afford a new heater, then they can
install a new flame retention burner that would also save you money. You
can't put a flame retention burner in most old hot air furnaces.

.