Re: Best way to tear lawn out?

"Em" <nospamblam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:sjmZe.1589$ua.103806@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> My lawn is a weed infested disaster.
> I will tear it out and start over.
> Should I till it or use a sod cutter to get the lawn out?
> Should I kill it first with roundup?
> Other advice?
> I prefer answers from somebody who has tried it.
> Thx.
> -Em

So why tear out the lawn? A couple broad leaf weed killer applications then
change to more specialized killers.

When I moved into this house I had weeds that were 2.5 feet high. Took a
week with the lawn mower to get the lawn down to 4 inches high. I then
sprayed broad leaf killer on it. I have dead areas but the grass is filling
in nicely. Keep it watered between chemical applications. Grass can choke
out a lot of stuff that might be growing now.

  • Re: Use pre-emergent weedkiller *and* reseed damaged areas -- how?
    ... emergent doesn't kill weeds, it just keeps their seeds from ... If it's applied to a dry lawn the weed killer is ... I sometimes use a brush with Roundup to kill 'em for sure without hitting the good grass. ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: best spot weed killer
    ... and I have controlled my weeds primarily by removing them by hand ... confidence how much effort it takes to control weeds in a lawn by hand ... A master gardener at the nursery told me that a broadleaf killer is ... the tree. ...
    (rec.gardens)
  • Re: Scotts Weed Control Fertilizer Killed Our Lawn!! HELP!!!
    ... lawn (Crabgrass Fertilizer, Weed Control Fertilizer, ... clover was considered the *most* ... i bet all that grass you killed will be overrun with weeds now, ...
    (rec.gardens)
  • Re: Broadleaf weed pre-emergent?
    ... I know that the lawn services do something to prevent germination of broadleaf weeds. ... I know this because my neighbors who use these services don't get those weeds in the Spring like I do. ... used for grassy weeds, goose grass, was effective but it is tough to get rid of entirely and I know crab grass can have runners 20' long. ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: Green Green Grass
    ... large garden of an acre with a large lawn. ... on a large scale as well as other weeds. ... In the large lawn is Ground elder, bind weed, ... Having a 42 inch ride on mower made the mowing quick and easy ...
    (uk.rec.gardening)