Re: Pool Diatomaceous Earth Disposal

"Pop" <nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:J6KdndZtyoit7qzeRVn-pw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> : >I used to drain to the sanitary sewer but got tired of running
> the
> : >hose that far (125 feet) so started just back washing into my
> back
> : >yard grass. It doesn't leave any white spot or anything to
> speak of
> : >and a minute with a garden hose takes care of the brownish
> backwash
> : >material that is visible. Been doing that for 10 years with
> no
> : >problems.
> :
> : That seems to me to be more earth friendly.
> : thanks.
> :
> Actually it's supposed to be good for the lawn since the tiny
> shells hold water for the turf, plus DE kills off grubs and other
> things like that. DE is specifically recommended for grub
> control, in fact.
>
> Just my 2 cents

I was wondering about that. I had heard that DE is good to get rid of
crawly bugs by spreading the powder around.

My comments about the white spots came from places where it had gotten on
concrete and walkways, so I thought it might do the same thing to the lawn.
It doesn't really stain it, just lays there and turns white when it dries
out.

Some things are actually good for lawns, like some soaps. They help with
insect control. So, I was wrong about the DE hurting the lawn.

Steve

  • Re: For you this Easter
    ... Our neighbour spends lots on their lawn and we neglect ours but the grubs seem to be equal opportunity infestors. ... Fortunately we have no grass in the back yeard after years of renovation damage and neglect, it's all weeds and bare earth. ... My maple will soon dump its blossom and in a few weeks there will be a cascade of fresh green keys and pollen, followed by the autumn offering of browner keys, which cling stubbornly to the lawn, hiding between the blades of grass. ...
    (uk.local.cumbria)
  • Re: For you this Easter
    ... Pinny and I didn't take lawn care seriously enough over the ... They've ripped up all the grass looking for ... Our neighbour spends lots on their lawn and we neglect ... ours but the grubs seem to be equal opportunity infestors. ...
    (uk.local.cumbria)
  • Re: Lawn Grass Spring Work
    ... I would check with the extension office before beginning insect ... have the best lawn around. ... The only insect control I use is for grubs and that is using ... Is it not the purpose of the lime to raise the pH of the soil? ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: Grubs!
    ... I read up on milky spore, and it does not look like a solution because my neighbors aren't using it so I'll just get their grubs. ... The lawn is a bit over a year old and has a lot of quack grass mixed in with a fescue/rye grass/bluegrass mix, ... Treating for grubs has nothing to do with treating for Japanese beetles since grubs can do extensive damage to your lawn. ...
    (rec.gardens)