Re: Question for Beatles experts

LULU wrote:
On Jul 11, 6:34 pm, notbob<not...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2011-07-12, haligonab<stev...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, 7 Jul 2011 10:56:35 -0700 (PDT), LULU<lulupakal...@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
4-track machines and then "ping ponged" or "bounced down" to achieve
multiple combined layers of sound.

Ummm.... I think you may have your time frames askew. We had a fairly
sophisticated 4-track stereo R2R tape machine in our home as early as
1965. By '67 I was in the service and everybody and their dog had a
huge Japanese 4-track R2R tape decks and even a cheapo Phillips 4-track
machine could layer "sound over sound" with the push of a button.

I'm guessing you've seen the documentary "Tom Dowd and the Language of
Music". For any of you who haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and

I will. Thanks.

nb

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The technology may have been available, but it wasn't being commonly
used in commercial studios. The Beatles didn't use 8-track machines
until the "White Album." The Beach Boys had used them earlier to
record "Pet Sounds." Les Paul recorded in 8-track in the 1950's.
Quite often, several 4-track machines were ganged to achieve the
desired layering of multiple tracks. If you were stationed in Asia,
you probably had more ready access to advanced recording machinery
than many European and backwater American studios.

It may have been advanced in features, but because of the narrow track
format and heads, it may not have performed as well as say, an Ampex.

Even the Otari 8 tracks that were common around 1980 were pretty
lousy sounding.

Computers changed everything,
Lulu ; )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--
Les Cargill

  • Re: Question for Beatles experts
    ... multiple combined layers of sound. ... sophisticated 4-track stereo R2R tape machine in our home as early as ... machine could layer "sound over sound" with the push of a button. ... TapeOp interview about the time scales there with Bob Ohlsson ...
    (alt.guitar)
  • Re: Question for Beatles experts
    ... multiple combined layers of sound. ... sophisticated 4-track stereo R2R tape machine in our home as early as ... machine could layer "sound over sound" with the push of a button. ...
    (alt.guitar)
  • Re: Question for Beatles experts
    ... multiple  combined layers of sound. ... sophisticated 4-track stereo R2R tape machine in our home as early as ... machine could layer "sound over sound" with the push of a button. ... desired layering of multiple tracks. ...
    (alt.guitar)
  • Re: OT: Lowered standards of sound quality?
    ... concerning sound are different. ... I really wonder if listeners in the future will even ... Its always been like that Lulu. ... I can't stand MP3. ...
    (alt.guitar)
  • Re: Analog Summing Mixers
    ... The reason why people who like to sum channels in an analog mixer ... a tape machine sound... ... a tape machine instead of fiddling around with all this stuff? ... C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis." ...
    (rec.audio.pro)