Re: Fender 250K pots...differences?

On 3/27/2011 2:43 PM, Rufus wrote:
Jim wrote:
On 3/27/2011 1:17 AM, TheChris wrote:
Rufus<not@xxxxxxxx> wrote in
news:6_qdnVphie9eIhPQnZ2dnUVZ_q2dnZ2d@xxxxxxxxx:

Ok...so I'm soldering. Or trying to - replacing a set of pickups in a
Tele, and installing a no-load tone pot.

Problem - de-soldering the ground wire from teh case of the old
volume pot.

So - I noticed both the stock volume and tone pots are 250K CTS. So are
they interchangable? I'd like to use the pristine old tone pot as my
new volume pot and not have to forage for another one.

Of course they are - the only thing that makes a tone pot a tone pot
is the
addition of a capacitor (in most cases).

In SOME guitars the taper *can* be different.

I was looking at schematics of old Gibson guitars just the other day.
There was not only a mix of different values, but also linear vs. log
(audio taper) style.

Yeah - that's what I had in the back of my mind...

...OTOH, I've been wondering what I might get if I tried one of these
no-load tone pots with a humbucker. I know I really like the sound with
my single coils and just about weld them into the bypass detent.

I've been told that it's not tough to open the back of some pots and just use an exacto knife to remove some of the carbon path.

  • Re: Fender 250K pots...differences?
    ... and installing a no-load tone pot. ... Problem - de-soldering the ground wire from teh case of the old ... my single coils and just about weld them into the bypass detent. ...
    (alt.guitar)