Re: Spooky Two - What type of guitar?

On Dec 20, 9:36 am, boardjunkie <boardjun...@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I don't think its really correct to call that type of p-up an
"alnico"....all Gibbo p-ups use alnico magnets save for the 498/500T
and the import junk they put in the Sonex. They must have a proper
term for it

The Alnico V pickup was designed in 1952 by engineers Seth Lover and
Walt Fuller. Distinguished by its rectangular pole pieces and stronger
magnets, the new unit succeeded the proven P-90 pickup used on several
Gibsons, notably the 1952 Les Paul Standard. The main difference is
that this pickup uses 6 individual AlNiCo V polepieces instead of a
single bar magnet. Each Alnico V pickup has one coil with 10,000 turns
of 42-gauge wire and individual height-adjustment screws for each pole
piece. This type was used (in the rhythm position only) on the 1954 to
mid-1957 Les Paul Custom, also known as the "Fretless Wonder" or
"Black Beauty." I think that Lindy Fralin makes a repro of the Alnico
V with round, cylinder shaped pole pieces instead of the rectangular
poles that were used on the originals. I have no idea how close the
Fralin's sound to the original Alnico V's.

Good Luck,
Lulu : )

  • Re: Ping Tony D
    ... Very cool except the pickup setup was pretty funny. ... poles were about 1/2" from the strings. ... The pole pieces concentrate the magnetic field, but there's still a magnetic field between them arising from the bar magnet in the pickup. ... So if you raise the pole pieces only, the concentrated field around the pole pieces increases, but the field from the bar magnet stays the same. ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)
  • Re: Spooky Two - What type of guitar?
    ... The Alnico V pickup was designed in 1952 by engineers Seth Lover and ... the new unit succeeded the proven P-90 pickup used on several ... Fralin's sound to the original Alnico V's. ... and I think the guitar was a Hamer. ...
    (alt.guitar)
  • Re: hi everyone here
    ... This may be due to the wire not being on the spindle tightly enough, ... or if the coil wasn't 'potted' when it was finished - in other words, ... moving unless you physically break the pickup!), ... AlNiCo - Aluminum Nickle Cobalt, the three elements that make up the ...
    (rec.music.makers.builders)
  • Re: Ping Tony D
    ... Very cool except the pickup setup was pretty funny. ... What happens if the pole ... space between the fret board and the strings at the bridge end. ... Steve Wise told me it was the nut that needed adjusting and a bridge adjustment wouldn't fix it completely. ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)
  • Re: Magnet length and changes in guitar pickup properties
    ... which produces a classic underdamped 2 pole lowpass ... they cannot as easily be used to model the pickup geometry ... that the highest frequencies (above resonance) are not unnecessarily ... Now, to refer to the OP's specific question, protruding magnet ...
    (sci.electronics.design)