Re: Re-Creating A Legend: The Eric Clapton Crossroads Gibson 335

"J" <rhfyajhiyjng@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:aU4zm.21655$Zv.5214@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thought I'd 'share' this video with you guys....

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4764707652331081865#

It shows the Gibson guys recreating Eric Clapton's ES-335 guitar.

I found the video very interesting and enlightening....'and entertaining too!

I can't afford that kinda cash, can't even afford a 'mormal' 335, it being a few grand.

I wondered if there might be a sort of 335 'copy' out there that would be close to the Gibson's look and feel, and maybe I could get kinda close to the sound by installing a couple of burstbuckers. What do you think of this idea?

I thought maybe a real cheapie 335 'copy' like an Ibanez artcore (?) or even an Arbor AJ135.

Any thought on what would the best (cheap) guitar to re-create my own ES 335 "clone"? :)

I am not one to recommend lesser guitars as I don't want to be responsible should the item not pass muster. I don't know your fiscal position but would like to make you aware that Gibson makes two smaller-bodied versions of the esteemed 335; an ES-339 and a CS-336, the former constructed using laminated maple ala its parent, the latter using a one-piece carved mahogany back with a two-piece carved maple top. They are cheaper than the 335 but, unfortunately, not inexpensive. I am quite enamoured with my 336.

Also, what pickups might be cheaper than burstbuckers that I could use instead?

I know it's a real tall order, but I really do want that Cream/Clapton sound. Then there''s the Marshall amp of course!

Cheers.

  • Im just saying...
    ... So, why would it say 'Gibson OWNS Epiphone', if it's the same company:) ... Gibson Guitar embraces China, Latin markets ... show sales of instruments and gear ... But to Gibson Guitar chairman/CEO Henry Juszkiewicz, ...
    (alt.guitar)
  • Re: Im just saying...
    ... Gibson Guitar embraces China, Latin markets ... show sales of instruments and gear ... But to Gibson Guitar chairman/CEO Henry Juszkiewicz, ...
    (alt.guitar)
  • Re: Selling My Guitar.... Slight Damage
    ... Some folks recoil at the idea of retopping a 'vintage' guitar but that's ... fragments in the name of originality. ... techniques for heavy repair and resto work. ... He got hold of a horribly smashed Gibson, probably a J-45 or 50 from the ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic)
  • Re: OT A Massive NY Union Just Voted To Side With The Wall Street Protesters
    ... Guitar Antihero: Lawless logging and slaughtered wildlife didn’t stop Gibson Guitar ... On August 24, federal agents knocked on the doors of Gibson Guitar headquarters and factories in Nashville, Tenn., and seized large quantities of imported wood. ... This is a slow-growing tree species with very little conservation protection and supplies are considered to be highly threatened in its native environment due to over exploitation ... ...
    (alt.sports.basketball.nba.la-lakers)
  • Re: Gibson service story part 2
    ... In 1994 I bought a blonde Gibson Wes Montgomery. ... In any case, it was a stunning-looking guitar, sounded great and ... Although I had bought the guitar new, the dealer I thought I had ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz)