1938 Martin D28 goes for $47,000

On 12/12/05 2:13 PM, in article FRknf.7186$Kf4.6769@xxxxxxxx, "Carl Rothman"
<crothman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> When I bought my '64 D-28 in 1964, it was "common knowledge" that Martin had
> increased production numbers of their models to meet the new folkie-era
> demand, that quality was sacrificed for quantity, and that if you wanted a
> "real" Martin you should invest in a "pre-war" model.

You might find this interesting: A 1938 Martin D28 just sold on eBay for $47
grand. No special history to the instrument, but the story of the sale got
picked up by the local TV station well before the close, and the bidding got
real nuts.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Martin-1938-D-28-D28-Acoustic-Guitar-Merry-Christmas_W0Q
QitemZ7372033567QQcategoryZ33028QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Zoid

  • Re: Load your guns/keyboard. Here is one for you.
    ... Sell something that almost works, ... quality, but we don't. ... Quality is available though demand is less ... American worker. ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • Re: Apogee mini dac or Benchmark DAC1
    ... and know precisely what products are in demand. ... You seem to keep assuming pricing and markup practices indicate ... None of this necessarily has much to do with quality. ... Iain's point is that 'discerning' audio enthusiast are choosing valve ...
    (uk.rec.audio)
  • Re: Great Young Hope?
    ... Average quality mostly. ... The vastly increased demand for 'pseudo-SF' ... it may be that I'm missing the worst prose these days. ... mediocre fantasy and a smaller demand for mediocre science fiction. ...
    (rec.arts.sf.written)
  • Re: Going back in time
    ... In 1933, demand was high, quality was at a premium, but money ... South to buy quality beer. ...
    (rec.crafts.brewing)