Re: review of Elixer strings

"Don Evans" <gtrdonevans@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:g5GdnZ2dnZ3xpg6cnZ2dnX6Mi96dnZ2dRVn-0J2dnZ0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> "DeeAa" <deeaa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> "Geetar Dave" <ebz@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>> That's unfortunate.
>>> I was considering trying some electric sets for my gigging guitars.
>>>
>>> But if they physically don't last any longer than a normal set, why
>>> bother?
>>>
>> I dunno about electrics - but on the acoustic my take on things is that
>> they do seem to keep their tone longer than normal strings, BUT
>> physically don't last any longer after all. AND the tone is slightly
>> duller to begin with too. So I don't bother anymore. But if you play a
>> lot and have sweaty hands they might work real well.
>>
> I found the electric strings sounded good longer. They never sound quite
> as bright as uncoated strings, but they keep that hours old tone for days
> or even weeks. I started using them as a way to fight the
> stick-to-your-strings thing that happens in high humidity, and found that
> I no longer had to change them every day or two. They do break, but so do
> uncoated strings. For people like me who kill the tone long before the
> string breaks, they are not a bad option. Just as an aside, they seem to
> bend more easily .. don't know why.
>
> Don

I should mention I really like the feel of the strings. Smooth and slick.
Easy to bend, perhaps because of the coating, they slip over the frets when
bending, easier. I like how they felt, all the way up to the point of my d
string coming unravelled. Or uncoated, or whatever it is...

Rob

  • Re: review of Elixer strings
    ... >> I was considering trying some electric sets for my gigging guitars. ... > I dunno about electrics - but on the acoustic my take on things is that ... AND the tone is slightly duller to begin ... I found the electric strings sounded good longer. ...
    (alt.guitar)
  • Re: vintage strat and String choice!
    ... to 10s give me more tone and body without sacrificing playability? ... Sorry - I am not buying into the "bigger strings bigger tone" myth. ... before electrics -- but electric guitars are not acoustics and can ...
    (alt.guitar)
  • Re: Best Strings For a Beginner?
    ... the maker of the strings and type (bronze, yada, yada, yada) makes a ... All new strings sound better, but the tone of each brand is different. ... so I'm sure others will weigh in on the electrics. ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)
  • Re: Elixir Strings - worthwhile?
    ... Just wondering if anyone has used Elixir strings and do they live up ... electrics and rest live mainly in the studio. ... There is an aspect of the tone that I ... As hard as I play, I don't get 6 months out of any strings, but I completely ...
    (alt.guitar)
  • Re: Squier Fender Mini-Strat
    ... be praising its intonation and tone I dont imagine. ... highly recomend one of these for a fun beater/travel guitar. ... The strings were fine fender strings, but WAY to light a gauge. ... and either buy or make a new nut. ...
    (alt.guitar)