Re: Dobro strings?

On Dec 28, 6:11 pm, Pt <pea...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have been playing my electric dobro lately and one thing i noticed
is that the strings are too light.
I use a nut extension to get the strings up and it does the job but no
ways near as high as a square neck dobro.
Plus I'm using open D tuning.
I would like to put heavier strings on it but I don't know how much it
will increase the tension on the neck.
Any advice?

Pt

Do you mean an electrified roundneck Dobro? The main problem is likely
to be the added leverage caused by the nut raiser, not the tension per
se. Given the the nut raiser is not too high, I would (and do) use
13-56 for lap-style open D, if the neck has a truss rod.

Tony D

  • Re: Question for Luthiers - replacing nut
    ... strings and the instrument; never a good thing. ... Any looseness in fit between nut and neck can result in vibrational loss; ... As for the neck going back when it dries out, ... It is possible for the neck to move either way under humidity ...
    (rec.music.classical.guitar)
  • Re: What is the most Effective Modification To Make My Guitar Stay In Tune
    ... I have a hybrid cheapy guitar. ... Squier Telecaster neck and Squier Tuners. ... strings are broken in, if new...so, we'll look elsewhere for your trouble. ... I'd also suggest looking at the nut. ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar)
  • Re: What is the most Effective Modification To Make My Guitar Stay In Tune
    ... Squier Telecaster neck and Squier Tuners. ... I'd also suggest looking at the nut. ... the strings aren't binding & sticking in the slots. ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar)
  • Re: A question about nuts
    ... then you are going to have a nut sticking out over the edges of the neck ... as the strings come down to the bridge. ... string spacing for my fingerstyle playing, and the answer was that there ...
    (alt.guitar)
  • Re: Fixing Guitar Nut
    ... The white part (nut?) on the headstock makes the strings be too high. ... On my friend's guitar you can not put a guitar pick between the strings and the neck in the 1th. ...
    (alt.guitar)