Re: Dobro

"Pt" wrote in message news:6f868322-8c73-440b-825d-370541cc33aa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Oct 9, 2:24 am, "Tony Done" <tonyd...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"Pt" wrote in message

news:aaf6adab-0867-49a9-873e-c3bc3a8a50ac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I pulled my dobro out the other day.
It has a nut extension that raises the strings to be played with a
steel.
Usually I tune it in open D.
I took the nut extension off and retuned to standard tuning and play
it as a guitar without the slide.
How do you like to play slide?
Standard tuning playing mostly the D, G, B strings (G chord)?
Or an open tuning where it is tuned to a chord?

Pt

****************************

With heavy (13-56) strings mostly open D, some open G. Open E or A with
lighter strings. I have a whole assortment of lap steels, but at gigs I
often just used to change from Spanish to lap position on a guitar with
normal set up. Doing that can hammer the frets, but I have developed a
fairly light touch to avoid that.

I've been practicing standard tuning slide, and it has evolved to be mostly
minor pentatonics, ala Duane Allman or Mick Taylor.

What I've been doing a lot of the past few years is arranging my old
folkie/blues favourites as slide pieces. This morning I was working on
"Alberta" and "CC Rider", the guitar being a cedar-topped Maton 225 on loan
to my daughter that really lent itself to playing in the very high
registers. A week or two back it was "Shoals of Herring"

Tony D

I picked up an old Gibson Lap Steel about 20 years ago mostly for one
song that I was recording.
It took awhile but I get pretty good on it.
It is long gone now and I have an electric dobro (not dobro brand)
with a piezo pickup and a P90.
It sounds good and looks good.
The only way I know how to play slide is in the lap position.
I now have it set up like a normal guitar and I have been playing it
without a slide.
I would like to try some bottle neck with it but I need some pointers.
For now I want to keep it simple.
By playing just the D, G and B strings it plays a G major chord so I
try to just slide on those 3 strings.
I do use it with standard tuning on a few songs but I might put the
nut extension back on and use open tunings but I feel that it limits
my playing.

Pt

The book that got me started on Spanish position slide was "Country Blues Bottleneck Guitar" by Ferguson and Gellis, published by Walter Kane. It might be long out of print, but I haven't found a better one. While lap style allows hammers, pulls and slants, Spanish position allows fretting behind the bar, so that fretting and slide can be mixed. - Which is what most players do.

I'm still much more comfortable playing in the Spanish position then lap style, but it is only a matter of practice.

Tony D

  • Re: tuning question
    ... guitars characters comes from it's imperfections - including the ... microtones of slide playing. ... Twibil mentioned 12 strings. ...
    (alt.guitar)
  • Re: tuning question
    ... guitars characters comes from it's imperfections - including the ... microtones of slide playing. ... His playing was *all* about microtonal nuances. ... Twibil mentioned 12 strings. ...
    (alt.guitar)
  • Re: Dobro
    ... steel. ... it as a guitar without the slide. ... Standard tuning playing mostly the D, G, B strings? ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)
  • Re: Slide guitar
    ... got some heavy strings and a real hand made bottle neck slide today (have ...   Try a Craftman's open ended spark plug socket! ... Slide playing, especially when you lay on, tends to hammer the ...
    (alt.guitar)
  • Re: What were they thinking?
    ... Weir's slide guitar. ... What inspired you to take up slide lead playing a few years ago, ... That came out of a desire to hear a sustain instrument in the ... so I just arbitrarily decided to stick to standard tuning. ...
    (rec.music.gdead)