Re: Imported less than...

Stephen wrote:
On 8/05/2011 12:25 PM, Lumpy wrote:
Stephen wrote:
This is not down! You can't go down and stay where you are.

You can in music.

None of this changes the fact that 8-6=2, not 3.

I figured you'd want to re-interpret the history
of music theory. I didn't figure incorrectly.

So explain this:

Or, should we say 3 half-steps, or, frets?

Three "scale degrees". ie 6-7-8 or 8-7-6.

You were the one who said not 3-half steps up or down but three
scale
degrees.

Nope. I said that.

If you move 3 semitones, the interval is a minor third. If you
want to
talk about moving up a scale degree, from A to B, the interval
is a
second. But though it's a second, you're moving from one scale
degree
to the one immediately above.

Yep. And from B to C is a 2nd.

Intervals don't just have a number, they have a 'quality' too.

No way moving 3 half-steps = moving three scale degrees. Can't
be
right.

I agree with you here. Saying move 3 scale degrees down *from* C
would be G to me.

But saying move down a 3rd (maj or mi) would be something
different.

If you don't like moving up or down two scale degrees, just say
up or
down 3 semitones or a minor third.

Hope it's still clear to everyone. Sorry to labour it. Lumpy is
right
about interval names and he saying we don't talk about moving
up or
down by a number of scale degrees but only by intervals. Fine
with me.

Again. To find the relative minor of C major, count down three
semitones. It's A minor. Even Lumpy can't argue with that.

  • Re: Does anyone know anything About Fret2Fret system?
    ... > Organization: Cox Communications ... denominator of both music theory _and_ fretboard mechanics, ... have to learn about intervals both in theory and on the fretboard. ... You'll find scale and chord formula tables there as well ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)
  • Re: Theory
    ... description of some observable phenomenon, eg relativity, quantum mechanics, what noises we perceive as pleasant. ... When I first came to this group and saw posts talking about music theory, I had the preconceived notion that "theory" had the same connotation that it does in the sciences. ... Sure, musical harmonics are found in nature, but it's possible to construct an infinite number of musical scales that encompass several of those harmonics. ... the scale we use most commonly now doesn't contain *any* true harmonics of any note in the scale. ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)
  • Re: freshmen physics problems
    ... there is no motion in the radial direction (because the car in moving ... to measure the frictional force and see if it is closer to that gotten ... A 50 kg woman stands on a bathroom scale while riding in the ...
    (sci.physics)
  • Re: freshmen physics problems
    ... there is no motion in the radial direction (because the car in moving ... and the stsic rather than dynamic coefficient of friction is applicable. ... A 50 kg woman stands on a bathroom scale while riding in the ...
    (sci.physics)
  • Re: Scale Question
    ... scale - Am pent - A blues scale ... I wouldn't waste my time listening to you play. ... does seem like you do know alot about music theory, ... You could be an OK guitar player. ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)