Re: Imported less than...

On 8/05/2011 12:25 PM, Lumpy wrote:
Stephen wrote:
This is not down! You can't go down and stay where you are.

You can in music.

None of this changes the fact that 8-6=2, not 3.

I figured you'd want to re-interpret the history
of music theory. I didn't figure incorrectly.

So explain this:

> Or, should we say 3 half-steps, or, frets?

Three "scale degrees". ie 6-7-8 or 8-7-6.

You were the one who said not 3-half steps up or down but three scale degrees.

If you move 3 semitones, the interval is a minor third. If you want to talk about moving up a scale degree, from A to B, the interval is a second. But though it's a second, you're moving from one scale degree to the one immediately above.

No way moving 3 half-steps = moving three scale degrees. Can't be right.

If you don't like moving up or down two scale degrees, just say up or down 3 semitones or a minor third.

Hope it's still clear to everyone. Sorry to labour it. Lumpy is right about interval names and he saying we don't talk about moving up or down by a number of scale degrees but only by intervals. Fine with me.

Again. To find the relative minor of C major, count down three semitones. It's A minor. Even Lumpy can't argue with that.

--
Stephen
Ballina, NSW

  • Re: freshmen physics problems
    ... there is no motion in the radial direction (because the car in moving ... to measure the frictional force and see if it is closer to that gotten ... A 50 kg woman stands on a bathroom scale while riding in the ...
    (sci.physics)
  • Re: freshmen physics problems
    ... there is no motion in the radial direction (because the car in moving ... and the stsic rather than dynamic coefficient of friction is applicable. ... A 50 kg woman stands on a bathroom scale while riding in the ...
    (sci.physics)
  • Re: Slominsky (again..)
    ... but still I started experimenting with playing fourths, ... the Slonimsky thing is about doing that by "moving" ... cycles you do it by playing cells that are "founded" in your original ... CC#D is not in any scale but you could normally ...
    (rec.music.theory)
  • freshmen physics problems
    ... there is no motion in the radial direction (because the car in moving ... to measure the frictional force and see if it is closer to that gotten ... elevator. ... A 50 kg woman stands on a bathroom scale while riding in the ...
    (sci.physics)
  • Re: strumming techniques
    ... That video of your band is a good example. ... They have arms and feet automatically moving ... You can only move your strumming hand in one direction at ... Speaking as one who can strum and who started doing it around 1968 with no arrows, or even lessons other than playing with people who were more advanced than I, I absolutely and utterly agree with Lumpy on this one. ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)