Re: gig report

On Jul 28, 6:59 am, "Lumpy" <lu...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Tony Done wrote:
One of the problems with and challenges of this age of the information
superhighway is that we can so easily compare oursleves with a whole
lot of other performers, and since we are an acquisitive society, we
want what they have got in terms of abilities and gear. I largely got
past problem when I had the insight that the journey is more important
that the destination. I'm still acquitive re gear, but it has very
little to do with what other performers are using

I recently sold some of the vintage Wah pedals I had
collected over the past 40+ years. I got all kinds of
emails from guys saying things like -

"Pick out the one that will make me sound like XYZ.
I bought a [brand X] wah that's advertised as being
the XYZ model, but that was advertising bull. It didn't
sound a bit like XYZ".

I'm pretty sure you can guess what I recommended.

Lump

I guess it was along the lines of sounding like themselves, and XYZ
sounds like XYZ because that is who he is. This prompted a couple of
thoughts:

1) There is great value in understanding why other players sound as
they do, if you are interested in that style. Like you, I don't
approve of wanting to copy someone else, but there are styles and
sounds I would like to understand. For example I would very much like
to know how Sonny Landreth gets his sounds on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUHyNky8Q9s

Not because I want to copy him, but because I can see a use for that
type of sound in my repertoire. Also because I think it is a difficult
enough technique to represent a serious challenge to my developing
electric guitar skills.

2) Many players are superstitious and have this paganisitic belief
that if they have a guitar just like XYZ, they will be able to play
like XYZ. The whole sales strategy of the popular guitar industry
seems to be based on this perception.

Tony D

  • Re: gig report
    ... lot of other performers, and since we are an acquisitive society, we ... "Pick out the one that will make me sound like XYZ. ... but that was advertising bull. ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)
  • Re: The New Roadmap
    ... THis would sound better if you were actually succeeding in achieving ... the ABC" starts to sound feeble when neither XYZ nor ABC are actually ... impossible and index content over MORE than two different formats. ... would have found the alternative solution by now and would be "working ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
  • Re: gig report
    ... lot of other performers, and since we are an acquisitive society, we ... "Pick out the one that will make me sound like XYZ. ... but that was advertising bull. ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)
  • Re: gig report
    ... emails from guys saying things like - ... "Pick out the one that will make me sound like XYZ. ... but that was advertising bull. ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)
  • Re: =?UTF-8?B?RMOkbWxpY2hl?= Benachrichtigung unter KDE openSuSE 11.2
    ... Audio- Abspielgerät XYZ funktioniert nicht, ... feuchten... ... Hauptsache ist, ich habe Sound. ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc)