Re: Practicing pentatonics

On Apr 18, 5:14 pm, Sean <s...@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 18/04/10 4:24 PM, RichL wrote:
"MikeL" <new.speedway.boo...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:799b6ba3-1b81-401d-8ae3-87b5bdb0fee7@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Apr 18, 3:52 pm, Sean <s...@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 18/04/10 3:50 PM, MikeL wrote:

On Apr 16, 6:26 pm, Sean<s...@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
What sound are you trying to represent? The [i] of "beat" or the
[e] >> of bed?

Long "e", i.e., the [i] of "beat".

It was depicted by "ē" when I learned it a few decades ago. I guess
that's not the common symbol anymore. I'm pretty sure that's the
sound Rich was referring to also, which further demonstrates his point
that you don't have to know how to depict the sound on a page to know
how to make that sound.

A point I have made several times, but my English is apparently
difficult to understand.

Maybe you should post in pig latin.

With long 'A' or short 'A' at the ends of the words?

<g>

I never know what people mean by long and short vowels. It sparks a far
distant memory of grade school in the early sixties.

Well, this is Usenet, a medium where 95% of the participants are over
40. Everybody else is arguing by Tweets or whatever else those punk
kids are using these days.

These are no longer
terms used by folks in the language game.

The term "long vowel" is still in use by casual linguists, <http://
www.firstschoolyears.com/literacy/word/phonics/vowels/vowels.htm>, but
it's phonetic representation has apparently changed since I learned
it.

I have a degree in linguistics, and can assure you that when linguists
speak of "vowel length" they are talking about just that: the DURATION
of the vowel. It's an important distinction in some languages; Japanese
is an example: the difference between two very similar sounding words of
very different meanings might well be the duration of one or more of the
vowels. The vowels may be identical, but the durations are different.

Crikeys, not only do we need to be fluent in SN to play guitar, now we
need to have advanced educations in linguistics to discuss
pronunciations (just ribbing you, btw).

Have a good week everybody.

Mike

  • Re: Practicing pentatonics
    ... sound Rich was referring to also, ... terms used by folks in the language game. ... speak of "vowel length" they are talking about just that: the DURATION ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)
  • Re: Pronunciation symbols
    ... the vowel in "bate" was indeed longer in duration than the ... having the sound of the English vowels in ... and "short" in some British dictionaries. ...
    (alt.usage.english)
  • Re: "Ive been away...
    ... I think we agreed that it does not sound the same as corps. ... also agree that it has the same vowel as horse. ... Of course twenty miles up the road from Bexleyheath you might find ...
    (uk.media.radio.archers)
  • Re: Technical name for british accent "cinemar"
    ... "voiced" schwa. ... for an unvoiced indistinct vowel sound, ...
    (alt.usage.english)
  • Re: Punctiation and pronunciation in AmE and BrE
    ... vowel length approximates the difference. ... but not so many phonemes in any one language. ... The same sound can belong to different ... To their ear it sounds like Polish "O". ...
    (alt.usage.english)