Re: Practicing pentatonics

Charmed Snark wrote:
Keyboard players will find SN as easy as TAB is
for guitarists. Why? Because there is a 1-to-1
mapping of fly-speck to key. With tab, you have
1-to-1 mapping of what to play (though lacking
timing and other info).

The 1-to-1 mapping makes it easy.

BUT -

Keyboards only have ONE place to play each of those notes.
Guitars have 2 or three places to play the same note.
So for guitar, the 1-to-1 mapping is not a HELP
but a HINDERANCE.

Standard notation seems like keyboard tab simply because
keyboards are the most universal instrument in existance.
They play the entire range, have existed forever etc.
Every music student learns piano. Every music student
does NOT learn guitar.

So it might seem natural to assume that keyboards
get the "easy way out" because their notation is
tab. But that's not how it works at all. Their notation
is the universal language of music. You can play "piano tab"
on piano, or guitar or voice or harmonica. You can only
play guitar tab on guitar unless you do a LOT of translating
to get it back to some kind of more "standardized notation".

I guess there's a reason why they call it "Standard".

Lumpy

In Your Ears for 40 Something Years
www.LumpyMusic.com

  • Re: Practicing pentatonics
    ... mapping of fly-speck to key. ... Keyboards only have ONE place to play each of those notes. ... BUT from tab, there is only one place to play ... Guitar tab thus gains that same easy 1-to-1 mapping ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)
  • Re: Practicing pentatonics
    ... maybe some success can be had with tab instead. ... instrument would be appropriate to play at this ... guitar, you learn how to play ONE song. ... it is to an instrument like the guitar. ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)
  • Re: Practicing pentatonics
    ... with tab, let alone the extra levels needed with SN. ... You can swing the 8ths or play ... You don't learn how to play guitar, ... than it is to an instrument like the guitar. ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)
  • Re: Practicing pentatonics
    ... with tab, let alone the extra levels needed with SN. ... You can swing the 8ths or play ... You don't learn how to play guitar, ... position for each note than it is to an instrument like the guitar. ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)
  • Re: im stuck...
    ... I can play the studio version. ... and the reason I asked for the tab. ... Like any arrangement of a cover done ... all on a single 6 string guitar. ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)