Re: Mouths of Horses

Charmed Snark wrote:
Lumpy expounded in news:7cm42iF2766l9U1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

Charmed Snark wrote:
Given that the D is the fifth note in G, than this
suggests a Mixolydian mode, if I have been paying
attention to the discussion. Mixolydian G would
have "D" as the "root" note, but the scale is carved
up according to the notes in G (just starting and
ending on D).

Did I miss anything here?
A little bit.

D is the fifth scale degree of the G diatonic scale, yes.

But the Mixolydian scale you describe above,
that is D E F# G A B C (D), is
the D Mixolydian scale, not the G Mixo.

Ok, I got it now. The X Mixolydian scale is named
after the root note X.

The D Mixo scale is notated in the key of G.

Yep, that makes perfect sense, after all these
years ;-)

The G Mixo scale (not present in this case) would be
G A B C D E F (G). It would be notated in the key of C.

"Modes" (the 7 Greek modes we typically think of) are
"Modes of the diatonic scale". So in other words, think
first, of a plain Jane diatonic scale. Like G Major -
G A B C D E F# (G). The modes of that scale would be -

G Ionion (normal Maj scale)
A dorian (A B C D E F# G)
B phrygian (B C D E F# G A)
C Lydian (C D E F# G A B)
D Mixolydian (D E F# G A B C)
E aeolean (normal E natural minor scale)
F# locrian (F# G A B C D E)

Each of those seven modes are the notes of the G diatonic
scale. They just start on a different degree of that scale.
They are all notated in the mother key of G because, obviously,
they contain the notes of the G diatonic scale.

I think I finally get modes now. Now I just
have to start learning their names by memory.

Any memory tricks used for this? I can
remember Ionian and Aeolean, but I often
forget which is which. So maybe I'll just
think that Major is stronger than Minor,
and that Ions (Ionian) has stronger chemical
reactions than Aeolean, which sounds lame. ;-)

It's pretty easy to see (hear) the confusion, I think.
We are Western listeners. We're used to I IV V being
the basis of all things good and true.

So isn't this still the case in SHA? Only that
we hear the D as I and G as V?

Who's "we"? Many of us hear the G as I!

Southern rockers were apparently
baptized to know that if the song didn't start on the
I chord, they would burn in hell.

Lumpy

I thought that was only true if they used a triple-rectified chords.

Snark.

  • Re: Mouths of Horses
    ... suggests a Mixolydian mode, ... D is the fifth scale degree of the G diatonic scale, ... We are Western listeners. ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)
  • Re: Mouths of Horses
    ... suggests a Mixolydian mode, ... D is the fifth scale degree of the G diatonic scale, ... E aeolean ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)
  • Re: Mouths of Horses
    ... suggests a Mixolydian mode, ... D is the fifth scale degree of the G diatonic scale, ... The "key signature" with one sharp is G (key signature is not ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)
  • Re: Estimated->Eyes
    ... The mode is determined by which of the scale ... Modality has nothing to do with key signatures; ... the tonic chord of any mode is that found in its major key. ... G Mixolydian has nothing to do with the key of C, ...
    (rec.music.gdead)
  • Re: Estimated->Eyes
    ... The mode is determined by which of the scale ... Modality has nothing to do with key signatures; ... G mixolydian is based on the key of C. ... the tonic chord of any mode is that found in its major key. ...
    (rec.music.gdead)