Re: Quasi-delurking: info on guitar-peripheral topics?

On 12 Jun 2009, Sean Murphy <taser8@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
alt.guitar.beginner:

Also, I've noticed that when I see most live performances the
setup includes a mic'ed amp - why? What does that do for a band,
as opposed to just using the amp?

Smaller amps make for lower on-stage volume, saving the musician's
ears. If you rely only on very loud instrument amps, you will usually
just end up blasting your own ears out and obscuring the other
instruments. Miking the amps lets the sound man have the most control
for crafting a balanced mix of all instruments and vocals that will
sound good to the audience. There is usually a separate monitor mix for
the musicians (often several of them, tailored for the various players)
so they can hear themselves and each other.

  • Re: BLOWOUT
    ... John King wrote: ... built amps. ... but I suspect since most of the multi-nationals who are getting amps built in China, or building their own factory there, are still only making their lower end amps and other electronic music gear within China; that China is still only a tiny speck on the totally tally of gear produced worldwide. ... within reasonable range of instruments made in North and Central ...
    (alt.guitar.amps)
  • Re: Guitars and.........
    ... I still believe that the US makes the best instruments but they are ... I love the sound of the new Fender amps, because the designs ... construction, not the same amp. ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)
  • Re: Guitars and.........
    ... I still believe that the US makes the best instruments but they are ... I love the sound of the new Fender amps, ... But I was thinking more about the current TUBES, ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)
  • Re: Guitars and.........
    ... I still believe that the US makes the best instruments but they are ... I love the sound of the new Fender amps, ... settings. ... The biggest difference was the first guitar was a stratocaster with ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)
  • Re: Small bass starter packs
    ... people were purchasing as cheap starter instruments back in the day ... to have someone suggest I'm doing my students a disservice when I'm ... The amps sound about like you'd expect ... student who's been taking guitar lessons for a year from me. ...
    (alt.guitar.bass)