Re: A Bit OT - Just Made My First Pickup And It Works

"Mr. Green" <cliff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:423a1b13-2bce-46d7-a31a-2a0aad715d34@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 22 May, 00:49, "Tony Done" <tonyd...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"Mr. Green" <cl...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> On 19 May, 17:21, Charmed Snark <sn...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Mr. Green expounded
>> innews:c75cd43f-8472-4046-80d0-b640e42ac082@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

>> > he

>> > I agree, you've gotta have a good clean tone. I tried one of those
>> > Epiphone Gold Tops, with the P90s. Great clean neck tone, warm and
>> > clear. IMO it beat humbucker equipped Gibson LP hands down. For me
>> > 'buckers rarely have that crisp clear quality you get with a good
>> > single coil. Well I'm planning a pair of lowish output minibuckers.
>> > Around 7K with, small (3 mm dia x 16 mm long) alnico V poles and no
>> > metal work. If they work out, I may eventually build myself a tele
>> > body to fit them in.

>> > Green

>> Thanks for sharing your experience here. I'd like to try that myself
>> one day (does anybody know where I can buy some time?)

>> One thing I'd like to know is what you based your coil resistance
>> decisions on? Existing pickups that you admire? Presumably the
>> same guage copper wire with the same total dc resistance is a
>> way to arrive at the approx number of turns of wire. I don't
>> expect that "normal magnet wire" varies that much in ohms per foot,
>> though I suppose it is a parameter available in the ordering
>> info (I've always used surplus for other projects- for this I
>> would order it as you did).

> I knew I wanted a single coil which was hotter than my stock strat
> (5.8K) but not as dark as a P90.

My ISP is playing up, so if you can see this can you respond, just as a
test?

I'm attracted to underwound P90s as a concept for the reasons you give, plus
the adjustable pole pieces, about which I am paranoid.

Something interesting I noticed re string-to-string balance the other day
while messing with my homemade reso pickup. This has a single coil taken
from a hot humbucker, with short alnico slugs, mounted under the brass reso
coverplate. Above the coverplate, to act as a "bridge" between the strings
and the pickup are some button magnets. With ceramic buttons, I had to make
some adjustments to their position to stop the 2nd string sounding too hot
compared with the wound third. When I replaced them with rare earth buttons
string-to-string balance was perfect with the buttons symmetrically placed
under the strings. I have no idea why this should be, maybe some kind of
magnetic saturation effect, but I plan on looking into it with flat-pole
electric guitar pickups.

Tony D- Hide quoted text -

Interesting that you should mention adjustable pole pieces. I made my
pickup with level poles, the string to string response seems more even
than the old vintage staggered arrangement. Until now, I hadn't really
noticed how much more prominent the plain G was with those old
staggered poles.

Sounds like you've put a lot of work into that reso pickup. As Snark
was saying, well probably be tickering with our tones for ever.

Cheers, Green

I come from 35 years of only playing acoustics, so I have a major issue with what I perceive as poor string-to-string balance in electrics. For the benefit of those who don't know, the vintage stagger was designed for a wound 3rd string, but most modern players use a plain third which produces a bigger output. The stagger I use for a plain third string set is about 123123, where 3 is about 1/16" higher than 1, but it depends on the pickup. For a plain third it goes about 123413.

I've been messing with pickup systems for resos for years now, and I'm happy enough with the current system. This is an example of the "under cover" magnetic on my old National, just the amplified sound, no direct micing of the guitar, "Hard Time Playing This":

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=784456

Yeah, tone tinkering is a hobby in itself.

Tony D

  • Re: A Bit OT - Just Made My First Pickup And It Works
    ... >> while messing with my homemade reso pickup. ... >> some adjustments to their position to stop the 2nd string sounding too ... The stagger I use for a plain third string set is about ... tone tinkering is a hobby in itself. ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)
  • Re: Thoughts On Strat Pickup Pole Heights
    ... magnets and flat poles i.e. no stagger. ... This new pickup has really highlighted just how much the G string ... I have sometimes reversed them and the wire connections to make a rwrp pickup. ... Of course flat is much easier to make. ...
    (alt.guitar)
  • Re: autofilling a field based on values of 6 other fields
    ... strpickupydname As String, ... "Duane Hookom" wrote: ... Also still not sure how to hand the delivydname when same delivyd numb. ... delivery yard, pickup yard, and type of material. ...
  • Re: Calculating harmonics of a vibrating guitar string
    ... On most guitars the neck pickup is located roughly a quarter of the way ... fourth harmonic has a node (zero string motion) at that point. ... it tends emphasise the development of harmonics as you move the slide. ... What we did was to place a magnet beneath the wire at a calculated natural node for it's length and then feed an AC voltage into it varying the frequency until the wire vibrated - the reverse of what happens with a guitar pickup. ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)
  • Re: Calculating harmonics of a vibrating guitar string
    ... On most guitars the neck pickup is located roughly a quarter of the way ... fourth harmonic has a node (zero string motion) at that point. ... That neck pickup effect is good for slide, because it tends emphasise the development of harmonics as you move the slide. ... For a typical guitar G string, the frequency of the fourth harmonic of the vibrating open string is about 5 cents high compared to the ideal value. ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)