Re: Newb advice from a newb

Tony Done wrote:
... I think that collecting
sounds is a legitimate hobby in itself, distinct from making music. I
now do it myself to some extent, but I like to think I've also paid
my dues as far as playing music is concerned. Having a lot of choice
in guitars means that I never tire of playing, my interest is always
refreshed by picking up a different guitar and playing a different
style.

But you do PLAY them. These guys I'm talking about
don't play. They open strum a $2-3 thousand dollar
guitar and claim "wow the tone". And I say the tone
is nothing unless you make music with it.

And, of course, the concept of a newbie finding
a guitar is where we started. It's surely much more
practical for a newbie to have a guitar he likes the
looks of and makes him want to play it a lot. I don't
think that the differences in tone between things like
a tube amp or a sand amp or between an Epi and a Gibbie
are much of a factor in all of that.

OTOH, if knowing that you've got a guitar that once
belonged to someone like Maestro Learnwell means you'll
play it and practice more, then that's a perfectly legit
reason to have that guitar.

Of course, that's a pretty extreme example.
Who wouldn't give their right arm to have
one of his guitars.

Lumpy

In Your Ears for 40 Something Years
www.LumpyMusic.com

  • Re: Resp to Tooly - long post
    ... now I can't play any pieces or songs and I don't get better. ... Last night after playing a piece for the 10000th time and making the ... I think I love my guitar but she hates me :-) Kinda like a romance- ... teacher to begin with. ...
    (rec.music.classical.guitar)
  • Resp to Tooly - long post
    ... now I can't play any pieces or songs and I don't get better. ... Last night after playing a piece for the 10000th time and making the ... I think I love my guitar but she hates me :-) Kinda like a romance- ... teacher to begin with. ...
    (rec.music.classical.guitar)
  • Re: I am stuck
    ... Sometimes those old songs are like a mantra. ... I have a DADGAD arrangement of "If I Was a Carpenter" that I cobbled up in '69 that still feels good to play. ... It's really hard for me to pick up a guitar that I'm not bonded to and get whatever it is that I get from playing. ... I'm going to tell you what I tell my students; "never" put your guitar in the case unless you're leaving the house with it. ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic)
  • very OT: Joy of music WAS: Re: cannot build opencobol-1.1 under cygwin
    ... gave up playing decades on back (Guild F-112, ... I went to see Andre Sovia and never touched a guitar again for over six ... and we play together. ... have great fun when we play and I am not intimidated by his superior skill; ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)