Re: Newb advice from a newb

Tony Done wrote:
... I think that collecting
sounds is a legitimate hobby in itself, distinct from making music. I
now do it myself to some extent, but I like to think I've also paid
my dues as far as playing music is concerned. Having a lot of choice
in guitars means that I never tire of playing, my interest is always
refreshed by picking up a different guitar and playing a different
style.

But you do PLAY them. These guys I'm talking about
don't play. They open strum a $2-3 thousand dollar
guitar and claim "wow the tone". And I say the tone
is nothing unless you make music with it.

And, of course, the concept of a newbie finding
a guitar is where we started. It's surely much more
practical for a newbie to have a guitar he likes the
looks of and makes him want to play it a lot. I don't
think that the differences in tone between things like
a tube amp or a sand amp or between an Epi and a Gibbie
are much of a factor in all of that.

OTOH, if knowing that you've got a guitar that once
belonged to someone like Maestro Learnwell means you'll
play it and practice more, then that's a perfectly legit
reason to have that guitar.

Of course, that's a pretty extreme example.
Who wouldn't give their right arm to have
one of his guitars.

Lumpy

In Your Ears for 40 Something Years
www.LumpyMusic.com

  • Re: Resp to Tooly - long post
    ... now I can't play any pieces or songs and I don't get better. ... Last night after playing a piece for the 10000th time and making the ... I think I love my guitar but she hates me :-) Kinda like a romance- ... teacher to begin with. ...
    (rec.music.classical.guitar)
  • Resp to Tooly - long post
    ... now I can't play any pieces or songs and I don't get better. ... Last night after playing a piece for the 10000th time and making the ... I think I love my guitar but she hates me :-) Kinda like a romance- ... teacher to begin with. ...
    (rec.music.classical.guitar)
  • Re: I am stuck
    ... Sometimes those old songs are like a mantra. ... I have a DADGAD arrangement of "If I Was a Carpenter" that I cobbled up in '69 that still feels good to play. ... It's really hard for me to pick up a guitar that I'm not bonded to and get whatever it is that I get from playing. ... I'm going to tell you what I tell my students; "never" put your guitar in the case unless you're leaving the house with it. ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic)
  • very OT: Joy of music WAS: Re: cannot build opencobol-1.1 under cygwin
    ... gave up playing decades on back (Guild F-112, ... I went to see Andre Sovia and never touched a guitar again for over six ... and we play together. ... have great fun when we play and I am not intimidated by his superior skill; ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: Why do we make everything so difficult?
    ... I've just listened to Miles playing So What from Kind of Blue. ... play on the guitar - but it just doesn't work. ... There's a whole school of perceptual psychology founded by JJ and Eleanor Gibson called "ecological psychology," which in part has shown that perception is affected by motor activity and that motor activity is controlled through perception- realtime feedback or our movements. ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz)