Re: Aging a guitar

Lumpy wrote:
Rufus wrote:
BTW - I have OTJ access to the sort of machine Lumpy suggested...send
me your axe, and I'll send you the splinters back if you want them.

Do you have the ability to do the measurements
that they did in the webpage?

Yeah - and to far higher g-levels and frequencies than the shake table you linked to...and under high temperature, if you like. We use such to qualify avionics boxes and other hardware for flight in...er...maneuverable aircraft.

I think it would be worth buying a $25 Ventura or
PlayRite or whatever cheap box and trying it.

....like I said...I could send you the splinters afterwards.

As I've mentioned previously, I've done it with
some really expensive guitars. And I just did it
for a student's Taylor. I notice a diff, the
student notices a diff, my girlfriend listening
from the other room notices a diff when he comes
over and plays his Taylor.

Lumpy

In Your Ears for 40 Something Years
www.LumpyMusic.com

What you are essentially doing is "relieving" the wood in the body by inducing cyclic fatigue in it's structure...may sound good (for a while...), but from what I know about building airplanes and bridges we generally try like HELL to avoid doing anything even close to that...

I'd tend to think that you could get the same diff just by changing the way the strings are coupled to the guitar - like the material the bridge pegs are made from (and/or the nut)...inducing more or less vibrational dampening through the bridge. I've made enough models and can operate a lathe (if I had one...)...I'd rather do that than bounce my axe around on a shaker.

--
- Rufus
.