Re: Pitch sense

"Tony Done" <tonydone@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:cOGjl.18660$cu.8482@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Yesterday I tuned my lap steel up to open G, GDGbdg, just using a guitar
pitch pipe for the middle open G, then did the rest by ear, not using
harmonics. I then checked the harmonics, and found that 7th fret D was
dead on to the 12th fret G, and more interestingly, the 4th fret D was
dead on to the open B string. Both the D and the B were a bit flat on the
tuner. I think this means that although I have spent my whole life
listening to tempered scales, me ear still prefers just intonation, at
least for the major 3rd and 5th.

Tony D

I've never considered myself to have a good sense of pitch, and I am, in
fact, sufficiently tone deaf that I can't sing in tune. However, I'm now
wondering if my slow but inexorable move to slide guitar is due to the lack
of predefined intonation. Could that also be the reason that audiences like
it?

Tony D

  • Re: Pitch sense
    ... Tony Done wrote: ... I then checked the harmonics, and found that 7th fret D was dead on to the 12th fret G, and more interestingly, the 4th fret D was dead on to the open B string. ... I think this means that although I have spent my whole life listening to tempered scales, me ear still prefers just intonation, at least for the major 3rd and 5th. ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)
  • Re: Pitch sense
    ... pitch pipe for the middle open G, then did the rest by ear, not using ... I then checked the harmonics, and found that 7th fret D was ... listening to tempered scales, me ear still prefers just intonation, at ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)
  • Pitch sense
    ... I then checked the harmonics, and found that 7th fret D was dead ... tempered scales, me ear still prefers just intonation, at least for the ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)
  • Re: Request for assistance on a sound/technique
    ... pick the 2nd fret g string (easyist ... to get harmonics on) and visualise where the 26th fret is on your ... which harmonic you choose to play will have ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)
  • Re: F. Moreno Toroba Sonatina question
    ... I feel that the 17th fret mark is indeed a misprint. ... The harmonics in measure four of the Andante create an answering ... is marked to be played on the D string, ... repeated on the third staff, ...
    (rec.music.classical.guitar)