Re: Harmonizer question?

Charmed Snark wrote:

Absolutely. Our kids came along before the IR remote
controls did, however. So call me bitter. ;-)

When I was a kid, back in the early 12th century,
I remember a "remote control" we had for our TV.
It was about the size of a duplex AC wall outlet
box. The only thing you could control was the
channels. You'd push either the UP or DOWN
buttons and it would make the motorized
tuner in the TV start kerclunking around
the dial from channel 2 through 13. UHF
channels had a separate converter box.
Even in LA, there were only two UHF
channels, 28 (educational TV) and
34 (Mexican).

The "remote" was connected to the TV with
a thick cable, thicker than a guitar cord.
It was permanently wired to the TV. When you
wanted to store the remote you wound the cable
around a pair of hooks, same kind that you'd
typically find on an upright vacuum cleaner.

You still had to walk up to the TV to adjust
the volume. If you opened the little plastic
door on the REAR of the TV you could adjust
TONE (a simple hi-cut filter like in a guitar)
and BRIGHT/CONTRAST and that vertical roll
thing, I don't remember what that was called.
I guess those "advanced user controls" were
behind the plastic door so that untrained
humans wouldn't mess with the settings.

When the TV didn't work, the guy came out with
his giant mirror on a tripod. He'd set up the
mirror in front of the TV while he was working
behind the box and plug in his huge soldering
iron that was about the size of a clarinet.
Those guys always had really groovy tool boxes
with a gazillion different vacuum tubes.

I remember my mom complaining once that it
cost $17 for the repair guy to come out and
replace a tube.

Lumpy

In Your Ears for 40 Something Years
www.LumpyMusic.com

  • Re: Harmonizer question?
    ... I remember a "remote control" we had for our TV. ... channels had a separate converter box. ... I guess those "advanced user controls" were ... We were lucky - my dad bought a Muntz - not the highest quality TV, but they had only about half the tubes of a typical set, so they didn't cook themselves to death quite as quickly. ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)
  • Re: Harmonizer question?
    ... I remember a "remote control" we had for our TV. ... channels had a separate converter box. ... I guess those "advanced user controls" were ... But usually after all the 12AX7 and power tubes ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)
  • Re: Multiroom Music Server
    ... >> options for playing directly from the controls on the front. ... >> instead of being surround - seperately using the channels to serve ... >> sent over speaker wires to the speakers in the remote destination. ... > I think this is best solved on the driver level, not sure if you need to ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: Multiroom Music Server
    ... >>> I would like to develop a music server which could serve multiple rooms. ... multiple sounds cards on the same system though. ... >>> options for playing directly from the controls on the front. ... >> aim at the computer with the remote as it uses radiosignals. ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: OT: Logitech Harmony Remote Scoopy?
    ... When i get me hdmi switcher from the states a review of sorts will follow. ... The remote is great. ... remote controls banished to the cupboard,never to ... Set up your activities i.e Watch TV, ...
    (uk.games.video.xbox)