Re: Acoustic for young beginner

ARLOWE wrote:
Sean brought next idea :
ARLOWE wrote:
Nil formulated the question :
My 8-year old nephew is interested in learning guitar. My sister is willing to spend up to $200 on an instrument. I volunteered to help find something suitable. He says he likes "country music", so I figure a steel-string acoustic would give him some of the sounds he likes.

I know there are tons of decent electrics available for not much money. But how about acoustics? I'd like to get him one that's as good-
sounding and easy-to-play as possible for a starter instrument. It should also be somewhat smaller than a dreadnought (parlor or OM sized?)

Can anyone recommend any brand names or online sources for such an animal? Any other thoughts?

I'm pretty sure you could get a Squier Stratacaster for $200.00.

Don't start the kid on an electric. It'll make him a crappy guitar player.

An electric greatly increases an 8 year olds' "pose factor"

Electric or acoustic doesn't matter as much as who the kid sees as a role model, (for guitar). If his uncle plays acoustic and that is what the kid looks up to then that is what the kid will want. If he wants to be Stevie Ray Vaughan then a $2000.00 acoustic ain't gonna be good enough. Remember he won't be a good guitar player if he gets an acoustic and never plays it. It has to be something he will play... on his own.

My son had a Toys R Us acoustic when he was 4 that he beat the hell out of. I had to glue the neck back on that thing 3 times. He didn't know how to play it but he strummed it all the time, (I had open tuned it on the recommendation of a guitar playing friend).

By the time he was 7 he was still messing around with that guitar, so my wife got him a mini-strat and some lessons. He loved the mini-strat but hated the lessons, because they wanted him to play "Skip to My Lou" and he wanted to play "Killing Floor". We switched to an instructor who started him out on The Ventures' music and blues shuffles and 3 years later he has 9 guitars, (acoustic, electric and acoustic/electric) and plays at jams and open mics.

Bottom line, ask your nephew who he wants to play guitar like and go in that direction. My son loved Stevie Ray Vaughan and Jimi Hendrix when he first started. He still likes them but now he's taken an interest in jazz, (Kenny Burrell, Jimmy Smith, and Stan Getz). They won't learn if they won't play.

Patrick

p.s. You can see some videos of my son playing at www.youtube.com/rpm9 There is one when he was 8 years old: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=634E5u5Dx80

  • Re: Practicing pentatonics
    ... maybe some success can be had with tab instead. ... instrument would be appropriate to play at this ... guitar, you learn how to play ONE song. ... it is to an instrument like the guitar. ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)
  • Re: Sigth reading progress report
    ... music store, buy a guitar, sign up for lessons. ... "show me how to play a song" is totally foreign in the study of other ... was reinforced by the instrument itself. ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz)
  • Re: Sounds/GAS
    ... A poorly made and set up instrument can be a significant impediment to your playing. ... If your goal is to play death metal, a classical guitar may not give you the response you expect, and you might not learn to play that style effectively. ... I can get sustain and attack out of just about any guitar if I have the right amp, and dial it's knobs in properly. ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)
  • Re: New acoustic - need some recommendations
    ... I'm thinking of trading in my Alvarez DY 62C and getting something ... easy to play as it did at first. ... I strum pretty hard and every guitar I pick up seems to buzz a little ... Maybe I just need a few different acoustics. ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic)
  • Re: OT: Trumpeteers who are not little girls
    ... Eric Clapton are the ones that can really make the instrument sing. ... The adult women trumpet virtuosi also play ... Sometimes I even wore a bass or a guitar on ... I suppose someone of his caliber would put you to sleep. ...
    (rec.boats)