Re: Recommended string gauge

Sean expounded in kF6Xj.2957$KB3.2382@edtnps91:">news:kF6Xj.2957$KB3.2382@edtnps91:

David Raleigh Arnold wrote:
On Wed, 14 May 2008 17:29:39 -0700, Box Monster wrote:

Hey guys,
I'm thinking of getting my guitar restrung because these strings are
getting kind of old. But, I haven't been able to decide on a string
gauge. I know that lighter gauge strings make fretting, sliding, and
bending easier, which is good since I'm a soloist. On the other hand,
lower gauge strings have a better tone and are less prone to
breakage.
I'm torn.

thoughts?

0.010'' for acoustic, 0.009 for electric. daveA

10s on an acoustic? Ugh. It would be like rubber bands on a shoe box.
Forget that girly man stuff.

I must have missed the "acoustic" somewhere..

Snark.

  • Re: String Gauge Selection.... A bit of input, please!
    ... What gauge strings do you use, ... I'm asking because my tastes seemed to have changed over time, ... Perhaps if Mr.Rooster could let us know what kind of guitar ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic)
  • Re: bass for eight ( almost 9 ) year old girl
    ... As to the gauge, I am not sure what is already on there, but they are ... lighter than the base I compared them to. ... The other bass hanging around the house is a fretless and the strings ...
    (rec.music.makers.bass)
  • Re: Bass string preferences?
    ... but I can always do it again with a new gauge. ... The old "the bass came with strings that sounded great but I ... These are wound on the outside with flat metal tape rather than round ... because the tape of flat wounds is usually wider than that winding on ...
    (alt.guitar.bass)
  • Re: Bass string preferences?
    ... but I can always do it again with a new gauge. ... The old "the bass came with strings that sounded great but I ... These are wound on the outside with flat metal tape rather than round ...
    (alt.guitar.bass)
  • Re: Heavier gauge strings Q
    ... 11's so you may have to file the nut to fit the heaver gauge strings. ... I play 9-42, which is the same gauge as I started with in 1978. ... to the bridge to compensate for the heavier gauge. ...
    (alt.guitar)