Recommended string gauge

Hey guys,
I'm thinking of getting my guitar restrung because these strings are
getting kind of old. But, I haven't been able to decide on a string
gauge. I know that lighter gauge strings make fretting, sliding, and
bending easier, which is good since I'm a soloist. On the other hand,
lower gauge strings have a better tone and are less prone to breakage.
I'm torn.

thoughts?

  • Re: My New Martin D-18
    ... I also took the Martin Phosphor Bronze .12's ... Very clearly this guitar ... strings I'll leave them on for a bit. ... "Tweaking" these guitars for different gauge strings sometimes ...
    (alt.guitar)
  • Re: Tried a couple of all mahogany guitars
    ... but I was surprised that the heavier strings didn't get me more level. ... Eddie Lang's guitar apparently was ... He played VERY heavy gauge strings, ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic)
  • Re: bass for eight ( almost 9 ) year old girl
    ... My theory is that lighter gauge strings with ... their lower mass require less effort to vibrate but still offer the same ... A beginner won't have to worry much about sustain, ...
    (rec.music.makers.bass)
  • Re: Midi Guitar
    ... Ok so I should probably use all like wound 26 gauge strings then and go with ... chromatic tuning. ... > Heavier strings give best results, ... > the MIDI output will reflect what you *intended* to play. ...
    (alt.guitar.amps)
  • Re: Recommended string gauge
    ... Box Monster wrote: ... I'm thinking of getting my guitar restrung because these strings are ... lower gauge strings have a better tone and are less prone to breakage. ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)