Re: Building your Repertoire?

HotMa...@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I would have interpreted this whole thing as a cry for help.
Obviously, he's unhappy with the routine of practicing that much and
having that little to show for it.  I'm on the same mailing list (hey,
it was free) and recall her talking about the phenomenon of people who
have had lessons/practiced/whatever for years and only do fragments of
songs, etc.  Others here have said it - the methods are poor
(fragments of songs or just lousy simple arrangements).  I mean, I
"learned" dozens of songs over a few months, but do I really want to
play some crap version of "Worried Man Blues" from Hal Leonard at an
open mic?  (In other words, would that "count"?)  I did have one great
teacher who would work through great, interesting songs at the rate of
maybe one a month or two (on top of the Hal Leonard).  For a newbie,
there's a lot of technique in "Johnny B. Goode" (if you work through
all the string bending, etc).

Someone else mentioned learning songs from recordings - that's another
set of skills and they don't come naturally or easily for many (most?)
- I don't do that well either and it feels aimless and like a waste of
time.  I actually like to buy songbooks and work through those.

The "practice 45 minutes a day" thing sounds like the typical message
from a lot of teachers and books - work through chords and scales,
endlessly, with no goal and some day you'll be a great player.

I think the answer to someone like the guy who wrote the original
message was change things - get a new teacher, get a new book, etc. -
but focus on learning songs and screw the endless woodshedding.

Bill

Well said.

  • Re: Building your Repertoire? SLOWLY!
    ... how complicated the songs to be learned are... ... teacher he would know that. ... instrument, then that is their personality problem, ... What the hell are you practicing every day ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)
  • Re: The Guitar Teacher Project
    ... and the most common chords and accompaniment in two years. ... I start out in A and D with open string bass and over a collection of 12 ... to 15 songs we arrive at C major ... get the play-along CD home for practicing. ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz)
  • Re: Building your Repertoire?
    ... practicing 45 minutes to an hour a day without fail. ... What is a realistic number of songs that I should ... and with enough flair to play it in front of other people. ... message was change things - get a new teacher, get a new book, etc. - ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)
  • Re: Building your Repertoire?
    ... (fragments of songs or just lousy simple arrangements). ... message was change things - get a new teacher, get a new book, etc. - ... but focus on learning songs and screw the endless woodshedding. ... taking it seriously and putting the necessary level of importance to it. ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)
  • Re: good practice habits, metronome and otherwise ...
    ... I have different methods for practicing based on what I'm ... songs I'm going to play on the night of the show for about an hour ... again paying attention to the transitions. ... just as most bands do when they record it. ...
    (alt.guitar)