news:fo9smq$f51$1@xxxxxxxxxxx
"Trent" <long@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:hkqgq3ltvbtqe0jugri9gvmeu89lvn07d9@xxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 21:31:47 -0800 (PST), Derek <derek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Agreed. Playing songs is why any of us pick up the instrument.

I do see value in practicing scales and riffs/licks, but playing them
over tunes is where it is at.

Don't develop the habit of just running up and down scales.

As soon as you can play a scale without making mistakes, start making
music with it.

I would spend at least half my time practicing tunes, then the rest on
improvisation if that is what you are wanting from scales.

What songs would you recommend for a beginner like myself. I can play
many of the short songs in these music books with little or no
problem. I am also learning music theory so I can read music instead
of just tabs.

Like Tim C said, you should play songs you like. Here are a few I like
that I found very easy to learn and strum along to:

- Green River (Fogerty)
- Wish You Were Here (Floyd)
- Tequila Sunrise (Eagles)
- Knockin On Heavens Door (Dylan)
- Horse With No Name (America)
- For What Its Worth (Buffalo Springfield)

Even though they are easy to learn the chords for, I found this to be a
great mix for developing feel, timing and strumming ...

YMMV
That is one of the worst collections of songs I've ever seen. Wait add
"Takin' Care of Business" excellent!

just joking :)

  • Re: New to the guitar
    ... I do see value in practicing scales and riffs/licks, ... Don't develop the habit of just running up and down scales. ... I would spend at least half my time practicing tunes, ... What songs would you recommend for a beginner like myself. ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)
  • Re: Memorizing songs
    ... on some tunes for the gig. ... by with charts on one gig for too long...it's a crutch & I know it. ... spend endless hours running up and down scales, ... It is this kind of stuff that makes learning songs all ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar)
  • Re: Question
    ... where one of their stated goals is to be able write tunes. ... develope rhythm teach them songs, chords, scales, and theory. ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)