Re: electric sound

On 8 Dec, 20:31, "G. Verhoef" <Gerard_Verh...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Bryan wrote:
I have a cort electric and a marshall prac amp (MG15dfx),but i play/practice
acoustic almost exclusively,the idea being that if i had to drag out the amp
and leads everytime i practice i probably wouldn't bother.
My problem is,on the rare occasions i do noodle about with the electric,i
usually find the sound disagreeable and put it away,turning back to the
acoustic.
This is probably a combination of bad form and bad setup,but as far as i'm
aware my gear is "reasonable quality"
i.e. the little marshall is at least a known brand and i bought the guitar
sight unseen as i have a cort acoustic and liked the build quality for the
money....obviously it would have been better to play the guitar before i
bought it,but the nearest one was a couple of hours drive away..
i find that my "acoustic chords" just don't sound that good on the electric
and even the few power chords i can manage don't leave me that impressed.
Is it possible i'm just not setting the amp correctly,or using bad
technique?any ideas?

For me, but that is purely personal, the electric and the acoustic
guitar are completely different instruments, that are suited for playing
completely different musical styles.

I once, long time ago, started playing acoustic, strumming ans picking
chords. Mostly meant to sing along with, sometimes meant to be a solo
instrument (in finger picking).

I bought a gibson les paul (studio) some time ago and tend to use it the
same way as I'm used to using my acoustic. But that really isn't the
strength of my electric guitar. Electric in my opinion is more of a band
instrument. Playing solo licks or pure rythmn guitar. Both kinds of
playing sound best if you are playing as a part of a band.

You don't see that many guitarist playing electric and singing along
with the guitar, nor do you see many electric guitarists playing the
guitar as a solo instrument (Chet Atkins being an exception).

One other thing that strikes me, is that playing an electric guitar you
want to have certain sound. A sound that is more or less artificial. A
little distortion with some chorus or reverb etc. That's one reason that
the amps are that important when you use an electric guitar. ANd one
reason why your neighbours prefer you play only acoustic.
You can get around that using a line6 pod and headphones.

All in all: consider them as totally different instruments and chose the
guitar that fits the music you want to play. Again: other, more
knowledgeable people might think differently.

Have fun!

Gerard- Hide quoted text -

I know just what you mean. Many years ago, I started on acoustic. When
I picked up an electric I was looking for the sound qualities I liked
to hear from my acoustic. I'm sure more than a few people in the local
music store must of thought me a prat when I stated that I hated Les
Pauls 'cause they just sounded too muddy! I ended up with a telecaster
'cause it would give me the bright clear acoustic like tones I was
expecting. It took a while before it dawned on me that most of the
thick, crunchy, sustaining lead guitar sounds I liked, were played on
a Les Paul style guitar.

As you said, you don't see many solo singers strumming an electric
and, certainly not without a bit of chorus and reverb. If you practice
mainly on an acoustic you will not discover all the extras an electric
can offer. In fact you may just come to think of an electric as a poor
imitation of an acoustic.

Cliff

.