Re: Barre Chords

Rich wrote:

When I first started playing I found it easier to work with barre chords, but I
liked the sound of open chords better. I'd learn how to play it both ways and
focus on getting the best sound. It might be easier to us barre chords to get
the basic sound and timing down, then try switching to open chords if you like
them better.

When a mate and I jam together, we try and alternate with one playing 'open' chords and the other playing barre chords. It really does give a more 'rounded' sound - and gives us a chance to experiment a bit too.

  • Re: Anybody thinkig of trying Fenders new Excelsior amp for jazz?
    ... The leader told me the amp sounded much better than my AI ... the AI and the Cube 60 are cleaner with the ... chords but the lean lines sound a bit thinner. ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz)
  • Re: Where have all the Kroopologists gone?
    ... of chords used in modern pop music easy and consistent. ... That awful parallel 5th sound is ... standard tuning has some limitations ... ringing open strings. ...
    (rec.audio.opinion)
  • Re: New demo finally on the way
    ... I like your playing style as well- you have ... comparison all my passives sound like mud almost. ... when you use an all-tube amp, they really squeeze out all the tone the amp ... songs with as few chords as possible at first and make it work somehow. ...
    (alt.guitar)
  • Re: Strange Lydian phenomenon
    ... It's a sort of blues which uses G Lydian as the ... just type GLyd and BbLyd I get just major chords.) ... Oh that's a cool sound and I use it a lot me-self. ... And I am big on resonance. ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz)
  • Re: Is Pauls work on Revolver the apex?
    ... similarly played FIGURE with sound. ... record had a guitar sound *exactly* like that heard on I Want To ... G and D chords. ... It occurs to me that if Lennon played open-fifth "power chords" on E ...
    (rec.music.beatles)